February 15, 2017

9th, 10th, and 11th graders: Please be advised that if you are late on your Feb. 28 special schedule day, you will need to do the MAKE UP TEST in March. Also, YOU WILL NOT be able to participate in testing on the 28th, if you come to school after 8am. So, PLEASE BE SURE TO GET A GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP AND COME TO SCHOOL ON TIME!!!

Jostens cap and gown orders will be distributed today during morning recess in Ms. White’s Rm F30. Seniors must pick up their own orders.

Senior Quotes Guidelines: 200 characters (including spaces). If it is longer than 200 characters, the yearbook staff and advisors reserve the right to shorten it. You are not permitted to use any foreign language (unless you get a foreign language teacher to sign off on it and bring the note to Mrs. Hoy in Room 34). You are not permitted to use obscene, offensive, or inappropriate language, nor are you permitted to make references to cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, and/or sex. You many not use numbers, initials, codes, capitalized letters in sequence, or abbreviations—no exceptions—PERIOD! You must spell out fully each word that you use. As per Department of Education rules, you may not refer directly to Allah or God in your quote, but you may use a Biblical quotation or a quote from the Koran if you wish, as long as it does not endorse a specific religion. You may not use language that denigrates another’s ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexuality, sexual orientation, or gender. You may not make references to killing, slaying, or make any violent statements in general. You may not say anything negative about the school.

Your quote should be well chosen and represent your best assets, as it will record who you are for years to come. If the quote is ambiguous or has a negative connotation, the editors, staff, and advisor reserve the final right to determine whether it is published in the yearbook. If you do not abide by all of the rules above with your quote, your quote will be pulled and you will not have any quote appear under your name in the yearbook. The choice is yours!!! If you are unsure as to whether or not your quote will be deemed acceptable, please check with Mrs. Hoy, the yearbook advisor, as to its appropriateness. Upload it to turnitin.com (Class ID 14736245, Password is YRBK2017) due date March 1. Thank you to the Seniors who have gotten their baby photos turned in!

Leukemia it has a face; it has a name; his name starts with M. Starting today we will also be collecting for our former student, to assist him in his journey.

Penny Wars continue during recess and lunch in room 34; updates on score totals coming next week!

Boys Volleyball tryouts will take place tomorrow and Fri. from 4pm-6pm. Current physicals are required.

Juniors: Please pay your $15 for your class shirt to Ms. Tanaka, Jashel or Cheyenne ASAP!! All shirt purchases were approved by each buyer prior to sale. Please honor your word!!

*Attentions Seniors: The Manuel Family Scholarship Fund is awarding several scholarships in the amount of $500 – $1,000 to graduating high school seniors of Kohala High School. Recipient(s) are chosen by a selection panel. All graduating high school seniors planning to enroll full time in any two (2) or four (4) year institution of higher learning are eligible. The scholarship can be used for educational expenses such as tuition, books, fees, supplies, room and board. The Scholarship Application Form can be obtained from Mr. Bizuneh. The deadline is April 1, 2017.

*Attentions Seniors: Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union will be awarding eight $2,500 scholarships to Big Island graduating seniors with plans to attend 2 or 4 year post secondary school. Post secondary schools include: universities, vocational schools, technical schools, community college all with a minimum two year curriculum. Please go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh for more information. The application deadline is Monday, April 3rd.

*Attention Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors: There will be an Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test also known as the ASVAB being offered at Kohala High School on Wednesday morning, February the 22nd. If you are interested in joining the military you should take this placement test that will determine which potential jobs you may qualify for in each branch of the armed services. Go see the college and career counselor Mr. Bizuneh for permission slips and or more information. The test will take between 3 and 3 and a half hours.

*Attentions Seniors: Are you interested in a college major of Science, Technology, Engineering or Math? If so the Dr. Lori Ann Kim Scholarship may be for you. There is a preference for Kohala residents with a GPA of 3.0 or above. Please go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh for more information. The application deadline is Friday, February 17th.

*Attentions Seniors: Are you interested in a career in accounting? If so the Hawaii Association of Public Accountants Scholarship may be for you. Please go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh for more information. The application deadline is Friday, March 31st.

TEACHERS & STUDENTS:

*Attn. Juniors: Next week, Tues., Feb. 21, you will be working on your ACT PRE-TEST. This will be done during Pd. 3 or Pd. 5 in Mr. Douglas’ Test Prep classes in Rm. 35. The following students are scheduled to report to Rm. 35 during Pd. 3 along with Mr. Douglas’ Pd. 3 class:

Louis Arraujo                                    Miranda Canniff                        Kiele Carpio                        Zekaria Duque

Antonette Fernandez                        Marc Francisco                        Whitley Francisco            JSean Giron

Seth Knappe                                    Cayshen Laau-Silva-Mahi            Naomi Ney                        Andrew Pale

Ian Rivera                                    Nevan Robertson                        Dregn Roque-Lewis            Jacob Salvador

Keoni Tavares-Matsuda            Chris Tinfo

*The following students are scheduled to report to Rm. 35 during Pd. 5 along with Mr. Douglas’ Pd. 5 class:

CJ Agbayani                                    Nicole Castillo                        Brogran Colovos            Reece Hooton

Symphony Kauanoe                        Kahoali’i Lewis                        Zazttaney Matsu            Kaid Nickl

Isaiah Salmoiraghi                        Bayleigh Wiernicki

*9th, 10th, and 11th graders: Testing day is NEAR!  Feb. 28th is a SPECIAL SCHEDULE day. Seniors will be working on Senior Projects; Juniors will be taking the ACT exam; Sophomores and Freshmen will be taking the ACT Aspire Summative test. The schedule and assigned classrooms for Feb. 28 are posted in front of the library, by Mrs. Stafford’s office, and by Mr. Bizuneh’s office. Check it out TODAY!