March 16, 2017

Interested in Aquaponics? Want to learn how to build your own aquaponics system? Well, this spring break you can! Next week Tues., Mar. 21, 2017 the 21st Century Learning Grant will be providing a workshop from 9am-2pm at the Kohala High School Farm. This is a great free opportunity to get hands-on experience. If interested, please see Aunty Julie for more information.

Leo Club seniors: If you’re interested in a Lions Club Scholarship, see Mr. Hashimoto by tomorrow.

We are organizing the Commencement Committee for Graduation 2018 to meet with the Jostens representative on Tuesday, March 28 during first period. If you are a member of the Class of 2018 and are willing to fully commit to meeting over the course of this next year to plan for graduation, see Mrs. Pasco before 3:00 today so she can get permission for you to attend this first meeting.

Seniors Seniors don’t be shy unless you want the decisions to be made by another guy! Commencement Committee meeting – tomorrow, March 17 Morning Recess. Future Meeting dates will then be announced. All are invited, but please, join only if you are seriously wanting to impact the Graduation Commencement Ceremony. We need Seniors who are willing to help plan and make decisions as well as take actions to complete our tasks. Mahalo from Ms White

ATTENTION STUDENTS GRADES 9 & 11: This is your last week to turn in your parents’ SQS survey envelopes to Ms White and receive a Kohala Cowboys – E Ala E Na Paniolo gold and black wristband. Please turn your envelope to Ms White!  Yay! Freshmen and Juniors!

Attention Seniors: The Manuel Family Scholarship Fund is awarding several scholarships in the amount of $500 – $1,000 to graduating high school seniors of Kohala High School. Recipient(s) are chosen by a selection panel. All graduating high school seniors planning to enroll full time in any two (2) or four (4) year institution of higher learning are eligible. The scholarship can be used for educational expenses such as tuition, books, fees, supplies, room and board. The Scholarship Application Form can be obtained from Mr. Bizuneh. The deadline is April 1, 2017.

Attention Seniors: Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union will be awarding eight $2,500 scholarships to Big Island graduating seniors with plans to attend 2 or 4 year post secondary school. Post secondary schools include: universities, vocational schools, technical schools, community college all with a minimum two year curriculum. Please go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh for more information. The application deadline is Monday, April 3rd.

Attention Seniors: Are you interested in a career in accounting? If so the Hawaii Association of Public Accountants Scholarship may be for you. Please go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh for more information. The application deadline is Friday, March 31st.

Juniors: Please pay your $15 for your class shirt to Ms. Tanaka, Jashel or Cheyenne ASAP!! All shirt purchases were approved by each buyer prior to sale. Please honor your word!! Mrs. Pasco has the list of the 25 people who have not paid for this shirt. You will not be allowed to purchase prom tickets without clearing this obligation.

TEACHERS & STUDENTS:

Love your heart!  Eating healthy doesn’t have to be more work or a lot more money.  Come to our eating healthy and recipe modification workshop and food tasting. You’ll be working with the licensed dietician who passed out free tortilla soup at First Friday this month. Sign up is on the counter in the front office.  This class is FREE and open to students, teachers, staff and parents.  Hope to see you there! Wednesday, March 29th from 5:00-7:00 in the culinary classroom.

The Na’au ‘Oiwi Academy is holding a Food Bank drive as a community service project. Nonperishable food items can be dropped off at the Academy room at any time during this month.

It’s Spring Spirit Week Class Competition!!

**Today is Throwback Thursday to the 60’s**

Wear tie dyed shirts, sunglasses, love beads, etc. 50% to be counted.

**Tomorrow: Are you feeling cultural?**

Maybe like a leprechaun? The world is full of adventure, come to school dressed in your ethnicity!  Within Dress Code Please! 50% to be counted.