March 17, 2017

Yearbook picture taking for Prom, Boys cross country, and May Day Court continues, morning recess in Room 34. M. Hoy

Senior class meeting during advisory in Mr. Douglas’ class. We will be going over our Senior Class Fundraiser and other class business.

Gr. 9-12:  Interested in Aquaponics?  Want to learn how to build your own aquaponics system?  Well, this spring break you can!  Next week Tues., Mar. 21, 2017 the 21st Century Learning Grant will be providing a workshop from 9am-2pm at the Kohala High School Farm.  This is a great free opportunity to get hands-on experience.  If interested, pls. see Aunty Julie for more information.

Leo Club seniors:  If you’re interested in a Lions Club Scholarship, see Mr. Hashimoto today. H. Hashimoto

Seniors Seniors don’t be shy unless you want the decisions to be made by another guy! Commencement Committee meeting – today during morning Recess. Future Meeting dates will then be announced.  All are invited, but please, join only if you are seriously wanting to impact the Graduation Commencement Ceremony. We need Seniors who are willing to help plan and make decisions as well as take actions to complete our tasks. Mahalo from Ms White

**Attention Seniors: The Manuel Family Scholarship Fund is awarding several scholarships in the amount of $500 – $1,000 to graduating high school seniors of Kohala High School. Recipient(s) are chosen by a selection panel. All graduating high school seniors planning to enroll full time in any two (2) or four (4) year institution of higher learning are eligible. The scholarship can be used for educational expenses such as tuition, books, fees, supplies, room and board. The Scholarship Application Form can be obtained from Mr. Bizuneh. The deadline is April 1, 2017.

**Attention Seniors: Are you interested in a career in accounting? If so the Hawaii Association of Public Accountants Scholarship may be for you. Please go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh for more information. The application deadline is Friday, March 31st.

**Attention Seniors: The Hawaii Lodging and Tourism Association and the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, in partnership with the Hawaii State Department of Education (DOE), will present Citizen-Scholar Awards to outstanding graduating seniors from each Hawaii high schools.  Citizen-Scholar Awards are presented to students who best exemplify citizenship in school and the community, contribute to making our state a better place, and have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better.   Recipients will be recognized at an awards ceremony and luncheon on April 27, 2017 from 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at The MODERN Honolulu and will receive a scholarship for $1,000 to continue higher education. Please submit a 5 paragraph essay describing you’re contributions to citizenship in the high school and community to Mr. Bizuneh at the following email address: fbizuneh@kohalahs.com by Monday, March 27th (Prince Kuhio Day). Mr. Bizuneh’s email address will also be posted on his office door. The winner will be selected by a scholarship committee and announced the following Wednesday, March 29th.

**Attention Seniors: Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union will be awarding eight $2,500 scholarships to Big Island graduating seniors with plans to attend 2 or 4 year post secondary school. Post secondary schools include: universities, vocational schools, technical schools, community college all with a minimum two year curriculum. Please go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh for more information. The application deadline is Monday, April 3rd.

Saturday: Tennis travels to Hilo.  Match @ 10am.

Track & Field travels to Kamehameha.  Meet @ 9am/10am.

Softball & Baseball hosts Waiakea @ Kamehameha Park.  Game @ 2pm/4pm.

TEACHERS & STUDENTS:

All Juniors & Junior class advisors:  Pls. meet in Ms. Tanaka’s room during Advisory today.

Love your heart!  Eating healthy doesn’t have to be more work or a lot more money.  Come to our eating healthy and recipe modification workshop and food tasting. You’ll be working with the licensed dietician who passed out free tortilla soup at First Friday this month.  Sign up is on the counter in the front office.  This class is FREE and open to students, teachers, staff and parents.  Hope to see you there!  Wednesday, March 29th from 5:00-7:00 in the culinary classroom.

Yay………………..It’s Spring Break!!

Return to school on Tues., Mar. 28th!!