April 11, 2017

Congratulations to Kohala Track team members Oscar, DJ, Justus, Duncan, Christian, Chris, Dahlton, Barkley, Alijay, Gail, Angelique, Mari, and Kamaile for setting 17 personal records at HPA last week! Don’t forget to wish them good luck for this Saturday’s meet at Keaau!!

Junior class officers and advisers meeting in the academy room during 1st recess today.

INTERNSHIPS – Students interested in internships opportunities, see Mr. Robbat or Mr. Yee in the library for more information. Internships are a great way to build your resume.

Spring Football conditioning continues today @ 4:30pm. Report down the field. Current physical is required. Spring ball will run through Fri., April 21.

Students grades 9-11: Registration is over and while you are thinking about next year….Would you like to be a class/STUCO officer? if you are interested pick up a packet from Ms. Hoy during Morning recess or lunch time room 34.

**May Day Prince & Princesses: You owe Uncle Michael $10 for your sashes please bring money to practice ASAP!

**May Day Practice for Ladies in Waiting Tuesday 7pm all this month. Mondays AND Thursdays-7pm Boys and Girls.

**Protocol: Full Court practice Sundays 3:30-6:30 (4:30 4/30)

**Juniors: Plan to decorate starting at 8am Sunday April 30.

Attention Seniors: Are you going to attend an accredited college or university? Have you spent most of your life on The Big Island with a background in ranching, cattle and or horses? If so, the  “Dutch” Schuman Big Island Paniolo Scholarship Fund Award may be for you. The fund will provide $2,000 per year to assist with tuition. The application deadline is June 1st. Go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh, for more information.

Attention Seniors: Are you going to college and have some Samoan ancestry? Do you demonstrate academic promise and leadership potential? If so, the Gustave Hannemann Leadership Award or the Faiaso Soliai Hannemann Leadership Award may be for you. The application deadline is April 30th. Go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh, for more information.

Attention all seniors taking AP Exams: Please bring your payment in the form of checks to Mr. Bizuneh by tomorrow, April 13th. Make checks payable to Kohala High School with “AP exam” in the memo line.

Attention Seniors: The Big Island Retired Military Association (BIRMA) is pleased to announce that we will be awarding a $2,000 scholarship in memory of Mark Allen Traxler, the son of one of our members. The applicant must be a graduating senior whose parent(s)/grandparent(s) or guardian(s) is/are active duty, reserve, National Guard or retired from U. S. military service. A minimum grade point average of 3.0 is required. Qualified students who express educational and career interests indicating intent to pursue a military or other government or public service career will receive priority consideration. The application deadline is May 31st. Go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh for more information.

Attention Seniors: Are you going to attend an accredited college or university to pursue a degree in a discipline related to the life sciences including agriculture, agronomy, biology, botany, genetics, horticulture, plant physiology, chemistry, crop science and soil science? If so, the Monsanto Hawaii Life Sciences Scholarship may be for you. It is offered to high school seniors interested in achieving a life sciences degree. As many as ten (10) scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded this year. The application deadline is May 1st. Go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh, for more information.

The following students have bus passes available for pick up in the office: Aukai Aipia, Jessa May Campollo, Jovylyn Campollo, Kyrell Mateo and Bryce Motomatsu.

TEACHERS & STUDENTS:

Aloha e na kumu hanohano a me na haumana wiwo`ole, As some of you are aware, the Junior class will be having a Walk-A-Thon this Saturday, April 15th, from 8 – 12 pm. The theme is: “Kâko`o i ke Kaiâulu o Kohala” Supporting Our Kohala Community. Money raise will go towards the Junior/Senior prom and the class of 2018 senior bonding and graduation. We are also giving portions of the funds to Michael Bartolome and his `ohana, as he continue to battle cancer. If you would like to participate, here are your options:

**1. You can walk the 2 mile course for a $10 donation. We will have shirts for sale at the Walk-A-Thon, but on a first come basis. There will be aid stations on the course for all walking participants

**2. If any class or school groups would like to have a booth, please see Mr. Kealoha for more info. There are a limited amount of space for vendors so it will be on a first come basis.

**3. If there any groups or individuals with “vaudeville” talent (musical, comedy, juggling, dancing, etc.)and would like to perform, you are more than welcome. There will be a sound system.

**The Junior officers and advisers appreciate your time and consideration. Mahalo!

10th graders: Registration will be on Wed. Pd. 6 (Petruzzi), Thurs. Pd. 3 (Petruzzi), and Thurs. Pd. 7 (Petruzzi). If you are not in these classes, see Mr. Hashimoto.

The Mauna Kea Resort and Hapuna Prince are looking for runners to support their Charity Walk running team. We are their adopted school so support is GREATLY appreciated. Charity Walk is May 13, sign-up at the Queens Shop Waikoloa Bowl at 5:30am. They currently have 40 runners. They are hoping to recruit interested high school runners or teachers at no cost to you. Human Resources will sponsor their donation and you will receive their Charity Walk shirt. If interested please call Judy at 882-5453 or email me at jitzig-heine@maunakearesort.net. by Thurs., April 21st.