April 18, 2017

Students who will be attending the Summer College Tour in July need to attend a meeting during Morning Recess (9:26) on Friday, April 21 in Ms. Nietfeld’s room 17.

Prom ticket sales will continue with Mrs. Pasco in the Academy room during recess today and tomorrow. Have your COMPLETED permission forms and clear your obligations.

Attention Seniors: Tardy Tako! Please be sure to turn in your information for graduation (commencement) to Ms Fern White ASAP. Your legal name as you would like it to appear on your diploma or certificate, you height with the shoes you will wear. Blank forms, in case you misplaced the one mailed to your home, can be found on the office Counter. RETURN THE FORM TO: Ms Fern White’s Mailbox. ASAP

With just a few more days to graduation, Kohala High School, your teachers, advisors and classmates want to recognize seniors and wish you the best! Congratulations to Kamaalea Emeliano-Solomon, Kobe Kaholoaa-Aguilar, and Stephanie Lewis for today, April 18, 2017!!

Any student interested in working as a student teller for the Kohala Student Credit Union should see Ms. Greene or Ms. Kise for an application. This is a real job with real responsibilities for a real paycheck!!

Students interested in internship opportunities, see Mr. Robbat or Mr. Yee in the library for more information. Internships are a great way to build your resume!!

Students grades 9-11: Registration is over and while you are thinking about next year, would you like to be a class/STUCO officer? If you are interested, pick up a packet from Ms. Hoy during Morning recess or lunch time room 34.

**May Day Prince & Princesses: You owe Uncle Michael $10 for your sashes please bring money to practice ASAP!

**May Day Practice for Ladies in Waiting Tuesday 7pm all this month. Mondays AND Thursdays-7pm Boys and Girls.

**Protocol: Full Court practice Sundays 3:30-6:30 (4:30 4/30)

**Juniors: Plan to decorate starting at 8am Sunday April 30.

Attention Seniors: Are you going to attend an accredited college or university? Have you spent most of your life on The Big Island with a background in ranching, cattle and or horses? If so, the  “Dutch” Schuman Big Island Paniolo Scholarship Fund Award may be for you. The fund will provide $2,000 per year to assist with tuition. The application deadline is June 1st. Go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh, for more information.

Attention Seniors: Are you going to college and have some Samoan ancestry? Do you demonstrate academic promise and leadership potential? If so, the Gustave Hannemann Leadership Award or the Faiaso Soliai Hannemann Leadership Award may be for you. The application deadline is April 30th. Go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh, for more information.

Here is another great scholarship opportunity specifically for Kohala High School Graduating Seniors. If you are in need of financial assistance to attend college, then the Choy Zane Jr. and Leora Wong Zane Scholarship fund may be for you. A few KHS seniors will be chosen by the Kalahikioa Congregational Church Mission Committee to receive scholarships worth a few hundred dollars each. Completed applications must be submitted by Thursday, April the 20th. Go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh, for an application.

Attention Seniors: Are you going to attend an accredited college or university to pursue a degree in a discipline related to the life sciences including agriculture, agronomy, biology, botany, genetics, horticulture, plant physiology, chemistry, crop science and soil science? If so, the Monsanto Hawaii Life Sciences Scholarship may be for you. It is offered to high school seniors interested in achieving a life sciences degree. As many as ten (10) scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded this year. The application deadline is May 1st. Go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh, for more information.

The following students have bus passes ready in the office for pick up: Aukai Aipia, Jessa May Campollo, Kyrell MAteo and Bryce Motomatsu.

TEACHERS & STUDENTS:

The Navy Band Performance is scheduled for today during Pd. 3 report to the gym!

Aloha teachers and students. On behalf of the Junior class officers, Cheyenne Book, Miranda Canniff, Jashel Jose and Caylah Carvalho and advisers, Vahan Chertavian, Beverly Tanaka, Colleen Pasco, and Nadine Kulberg, we are sincerely grateful for the support and sponsorship to the Junior class Walk-A-Thon this past Saturday. Thank you to the school staffs and administration for allowing us to use the campus for our fundraising. A special mahalo to parents Maile Lincoln and Michelle Amar who donated their time and effort to help with the event on Saturday; to Gino Amar for the use of the sound system; and Wendy Nickl for the musubis. You guys rock!   We are also grateful for our Principle, Janette Snelling and vice-Principle Trisha Burns, who took time from their busy schedule to join the walk. And a special shout out to the Lions members: John, Gerit, Derek and Aaron for doing an awesome job at the aid stations.   And we can’t thank enough, our community sponsors and donors.

Kohala High School band and choir students will be performing a spring concert on Wed., May 26th at 6pm in the KHS library. Parents and friends are invited to come support and enjoy the KHS music students! There will be a mini performance on Wed., April 26th during morning recess in the library.

Attn. Class of 2020 & Freshmen advisors: We will be hosting our first fundraiser this Sun., April 23 at the Kapaau Town Center from 10am-4pm. We are having a car wash and are asking you to contribute by either signing up for an AM or PM shift; donating baked goods, or items to be used that day. Pls. check with your class officers for specific details on how to participate!!

The Mauna Kea Resort and Hapuna Prince are looking for runners to support their Charity Walk running team. We are their adopted school so support is GREATLY appreciated. Charity Walk is May 13, sign-up at the Queens Shop Waikoloa Bowl at 5:30am. They currently have 40 runners. They are hoping to recruit interested high school runners or teachers at no cost to you. Human Resources will sponsor their donation and you will receive their Charity Walk shirt. If interested please call Judy at 882-5453 or email me at jitzig-heine@maunakearesort.net. by Thurs., April 21st.

Boys Volleyball travels to Ka’u today. Game @ 6pm. Bus leaves @ 1pm. Pls. excuse players @ 12:45pm.