April 21, 2017

English 102 will be offered this summer. This course is FREE to all Kohala High School students. Deadline to register is MAY 1. Pls. see Mr. Hashimoto ASAP, if you are interested.

Students who will be attending the Summer College Tour in July need to attend a meeting during Morning Recess (9:26) today in Ms. Nietfeld’s room 17.

Did you let the deadline for buying a prom ticket slip by? Did you forget what day it was? Could you not find Mrs. Pasco in the Academy room? Were you too afraid to go in? Well, here’s your second chance. If you did not buy a prom ticket and still want to go, get your signed permission form, your $70 (cash or check), and your courage and head to the Academy room during morning or lunch recess before the end of today. Last chance.

Seniors! Graduation is less that one month away now! Whoohoo! Today makes 21 school days left for seniors. Please have your obligations, if you have any, cleared. Please make sure you have your credits to graduate. Please turn in your forms for the information on the diploma and certificate. Song practice sessions will be held soon. Listen to bulletin for updates.

Attn. Seniors: With just a few more days to graduation, Kohala High School, your teachers, advisors and classmates want to recognize and wish you the best! Congratulations to Devyn Redican-Martin, Malia Fierro, and Shad Coito for today, April 21, 2017!!

Any student interested in working as a student teller for the Kohala Student Credit Union should see Ms. Greene or Ms. Kise for an application. This is a real job with real responsibilities for a real paycheck!!

INTERNSHIPS – Students interested in internships opportunities, see Mr. Robbat or Mr. Yee in the library for more information. Internships are a great way to build your resume!!

May Day Practice for Ladies in Waiting Tuesday 7pm all this month

Mondays ANDThursdays-7pm Boys and Girls

**Protocol: Full Court practice Sundays 3;30-6:30 (4:30 4/30)

**Juniors: Plan to decorate starting at 8am Sunday April 30.

We are nearing completion of the mural installation outside Room 34 (art room). Students in Mrs. Hoy’s Drawing & Painting class were asked in the spring of 2016 to select one of the original canoe plants that arrived via the Hawaiian migration. Sketching out their ideas and collaborating with another class mate, they were required to use colors that were opposite each other on the color wheel. After enlarging the design from their 9” x 12” pencil line drawing, students also collaborated on which colors were to go where in their design. The original panels for the artwork were actually recycled from the school’s gym. In the old days they were placed on the gym floor for dances and special events to protect the playing surface. They needed to be slightly trimmed to fit snugly, which was executed by Pat Hoy, Mrs. Hoy’s husband. Aliyah Page helped to design which panel would fit next to the other and painted petrogylphs to mirror the ones found in the Hawaiian Garden. She also airbrushed leaves of plants found around campus to make the transitions from one panel to the next seem like one unified work of art. Stop by during the Ho’ike to sign the guest book and celebrate with the students who worked on this project!

Class of 2017: DJ Victor Gusman, Kyle Morin, Peyton Oda, Zekaria Duque

Class of 2018: Miranda Canniff, Ian Rivera, Bohdi Amar

Class of 2019:Reyanna Savedra, Titakai Emeliano-Solomon, Aliyah Page, Alika Viernes

Attention Seniors: Are you going to attend an accredited college or university? Have you spent most of your life on The Big Island with a background in ranching, cattle and or horses? If so, the  “Dutch” Schuman Big Island Paniolo Scholarship Fund Award may be for you. The fund will provide $2,000 per year to assist with tuition. The application deadline is June 1st. Go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh, for more information.

Attention Seniors: Are you going to college and have some Samoan ancestry? Do you demonstrate academic promise and leadership potential? If so, the Gustave Hannemann Leadership Award or the Faiaso Soliai Hannemann Leadership Award may be for you. The application deadline is April 30th. Go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh, for more information.

Attention Seniors: Are you going to attend an accredited college or university to pursue a degree in a discipline related to the life sciences including agriculture, agronomy, biology, botany, genetics, horticulture, plant physiology, chemistry, crop science and soil science? If so, the Monsanto Hawaii Life Sciences Scholarship may be for you. It is offered to high school seniors interested in achieving a life sciences degree. As many as ten (10) scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded this year. The application deadline is May 1st. Go see the college and career counselor, Mr. Bizuneh, for more information.

The following students have bus passes ready for pick up in the office:  Aukai Aipia, Kyrell Mateo and Bryce Motomatsu

TEACHERS & STUDENTS:

Earth Day is Saturday and the Elementary Discovery Garden is celebrating by having a community day. From 10-12pm. Restoration of garden beds, helping the kalo, watering and more! There will be delicious and healthy snacks, food and tea to share for your efforts. Bring a hat, water bottle and good vibes.

Teachers pls. share the Resource Survey link found in your lotus notes with students during Advisory today. Have students complete the survey via their KHS accounts. Thank you.

Aloha teachers and students. On behalf of the Junior class officers, Cheyenne Book, Miranda Canniff, Jashel Jose and Caylah Carvalho and advisers, Vahan Chertavian, Beverly Tanaka, Colleen Pasco, and Nadine Kulberg, we are sincerely grateful for the support and sponsorship to the Junior class Walk-A-Thon this past Saturday. Thank you to the school staffs and administration for allowing us to use the campus for our fundraising. A special mahalo to parents Maile Lincoln and Michelle Amar who donated their time and effort to help with the event on Saturday; to Gino Amar for the use of the sound system; and Wendy Nickl for the musubis. You guys rock!   We are also grateful for our Principle, Janette Snelling and vice-Principle Trisha Burns, who took time from their busy schedule to join the walk. And a special shout out to the Lions members: John, Gerit, Derek and Aaron for doing an awesome job at the aid stations.   And we can’t thank enough, our community sponsors and donors.

Kohala High School band and choir students will be performing a spring concert on Wed., April 26th at 6pm in the KHS library. Parents and friends are invited to come support and enjoy the KHS music students! There will be a mini performance on Wed., April 26th during morning recess in the library.

Attn. Class of 2020 & Freshmen advisors: We will be hosting our first fundraiser this Sun., April 23 at the Kapaau Town Center from 10am-4pm. We are having a car wash and are asking you to contribute by either signing up for an AM or PM shift; donating baked goods, or items to be used that day. Pls. check with your class officers for specific details on how to participate!!

Please excuse the following Tennis players all day today: Jameson, Chance, Kyle, and Ella. They will be competing in the 2nd Round Individual Championships.