Kohala High Student Credit Union parades for Kona Coffee

Jenna Nickl, Editor-In-Chief

On a steamy Friday in Kona, Kohala Student Credit Union officers, tellers and one board member participated with Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union in the 41st annual Kona Coffee Cultural Festival Parade. The group was joined by student credit union branches from Konawaena and Kealakehe as well as the employees’ and their families from the main branches in Kaloko, Kealakekua, Kailua-Kona, Honoka’a and of course, Kohala. Since the parade was held just after sunset, all the floats, especially the Credit Union’s large truck adorned with lights and bubbles, were bright, colorful, streaming out up-beat music and bustling with a wide variety of age groups. The Credit Union parade participants were decked out with a variety of glow sticks, finger lights and lanterns that made them stand out in the lengthy parade. Candy was also passed out to kids by some of the SCU members. By the end of the Ali’i Drive parade, everyone was sweating from dancing around and cheering but happy that they had so much fun. The banner was held by teller Duke Kiriu and Vice President Andrew Trump, who enjoyed copying the Zumba dancers in front of them. “I was sweating and my heart was pumping but it was fun and I hope the credit union participates again next year,” stated Kiriu. Overall, the event was a blast and left some long lasting memories.