September 25, 2017

Students who are not in an after-school program should not be loitering on campus after school.

If you are 15 1/2 or older and have a Driver Learner’s permit, we will be having a mandatory driver’s ed meeting on Tuesday, October 3, during 1st recess in Mr. Kealoha’s class, room C18.   There is a change in policy regarding applications. All old applications that were submitted to me will be voided. You will receive a new application during the meeting for you to take home and complete and bring that with you and your parent/guardian to the Parent/Student meeting. We will also be having our first parent/student Driver’s Ed meeting on Tuesday, October 17, at 6:30 pm in the school library. The parent/student meeting is a requirement and is counted as 1.5 hours of classroom time. If your parent or legal guardian does not attend the meeting, you will not be able to continue the DE session.   If you have any questions regarding the meetings on the 3rd and 17th of October, please see Mr. Kealoha in room C18

All Drivers Ed students who have completed both the Drivers Ed classroom and Behind-the-Wheel drives, and received their notarized certificates after September 9, you will not be able to make appointments for your road test with a DMV instructor until after October 6. If you did receive your certificates and it’s been notarized before Sept. 9, you can make an appointment with the DMV instructor at anytime.

Please continue to turn in your Federal Impact Aid Survey Forms to the office. If you have not given it to your parent yet, please do so immediately!!! Parent phone calls start today for those of you who did not turn them in yet. We are striving to get 100% surveys turned in ASAP. Thank you very much for those who already did!!

The 21st Century Learning Grant will be starting its after-school Weight Training program tomorrow, Sept. 26th. Weight Training will take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30pm – 4:30pm. Permission forms are required BEFORE participation and can be picked up in Ms. Brown’s Rm. 33.

Yearbooks! Yearbooks! Yearbooks! Want to be able to look back at this year and see all the memories that were made? Preorder yearbooks NOW while the presale continues! Basic for $45.00 and Deluxe with your name printed on the cover for $50.00. Check out the poster in the hallway and bring your cash or check to Mrs. Hoy’s Rm. 34 during morning or lunch recess!

Chaminade University of Hawaii will be at Kohala High School on Tuesday, Oct 17 during period 7 (1:00 – 2:00) in room C19.   If any Junior or Senior student is interested in attending the presentation, please sign up in the Counselor’s office and also pick up a Permission Form that must be completed PRIOR to attendance of the presentation.

Students: The window for ACT- Aspire testing will begin Monday, September 25 until October 5th. Your teachers in English, Math, Science and Social Studies will be administering a specified ACT- Aspire test section anytime during this window. Work to do your best!

REMINDER: Juniors and Seniors… if interested in Automotive, Diesel, Collision Repair, Motorcycle, Nascar, Marine… the Universal Technical Institute representatives will be here this Tuesday, Sept 26… Per 3 in room 19. Sign Up and pick up a permission form from Ms. Nietfeld in the Counseling Office.

Also… the California Institute of Technology (CalTech) located in Pasadena, California is a world leader in scientific innovation. Representatives for CalTech will be at HPA this Monday, Sept 25 from 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. in the HPA Energy Lab. It is open to the public. Sooooooooooooo head over the mountain and attend!

Junior Powder puff practice every Monday, Wednesday & Friday during morning and lunch recesses. Come learn some moves!!

Congratulations to those students elected for this year’s Winter Ball Court.  Freshmen attendants are Clyson Igarquez-Marquez and Karylle Cheyne Oandasan.  Sophomore attendants are Kamani Provencal and Tiani Perez-Fisher.  Junior attendants are Kyrell Mateo and Lilly Lindsey.  Senior attendants are Kaid Nickl and Kuuipo Kaholoaa-Mokiao.  This years Winter Ball King is Dahlton Franco and this years Winter Ball Queen is Miranda Canniff.  There is a mandatory court meeting on Tuesday October 3rd during first recess in Ms. Ubilas’ room to go over court requirements.  Please be prompt.

Reminder for all classes that your homecoming t-shirts and banners are due in the library on Thursday by 3:00PM for judging. The winners will be announced on Friday during the Homecoming Assembly.

Want to be able to wear your hat to school and in class without the teacher telling you to take it off? On Oct. 5 you can!! Donate $1 to the Heavenly Hats Foundation between Sept. 22 and oct. 4 during first recess and receive a pass that will allow you to wear your favorite hot in class on Oct. 5. The Heavenly Hats Foundation donates hats to cancer patients across the US, so help support a good cause while you wear that hat. See Ms. Ubilas or the hallway bulletin board for more info.

Interested in earning some community service hours and having fun at the same time? Sign up to help man an aid station at Lapakahi during the Ironman Triathalon on Sat., Oct. 14. T-shirts, lunch and drinks will be provided. Sign up in the office by Wed., Sept. 27.

The Student Credit Union is now accepting applications for 3 new student teller positions. This is a PAID job! If you are interested, pls. see Ms. Kise in Rm. 35 for an application.

Are you ready for some quarter wars? From October 1 to October 31 stop by the office and drop some quarters in your class jar and earn 25 points for each quarter collected. Want to deduct points from another class? Throw in some pennies, dimes and nickels into another class’ jar to help them lose points. At the end of the month the class that collects the most points will also earn an extra 100 spirit points. See the hallway bulletin board for more information.

The following students have bus passes ready to pick up in the office: Angel Elarco, Moses Emeliano, Marc & Roy Francisco, Jada Hook, Jarom Hook, Blake Lapitan and Zaylynn Moniz.

The following students have missing packet forms. If you need another form, ask someone in the office.

Receipt Packet:                  Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Zekaria Duque, Kamaalea Emeliano-Solomon, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Shiloh Perez, Reyanna Savedra and Wesley Van Housen.

Emergency Card: Haedyn Ayin, Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Zekaria Duque, Kamaalea Emeliano-Solomon, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Kawika Paio-Bratt, Shiloh Perez and Wesley Van Housen.

School Parent Compact Form: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Zekaria Duque, Moses Emeliano, Kamaalea Emeliano-Solomon, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Shiloh Perez and Wesley Van Housen.

Media Release Form: Haedyn Ayin, Krisha Baustista, Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Mitchell Canniff, Zekaria Duque, Kamaalea Emeliano-Solomon, John Hageraats, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Kawika Paio-Bratt, Kamani Provencal, Shiloh Perez and Kamani Provencal.

Technology: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Zekaria Duque, Kamaalea Emeliano-Solomon, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Shiloh Perez, Nathan Romero and Gabby Yamura.

Emergency Release: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Zekaria Duque, Kamaalea Emeliano-Solomon, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Shiloh Perez, Will Touchet and Benjamin Vakauta.

McKinney Vento Questionnaire: Aukai Aipia, Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Zekaria Duque, Kamaalea Emeliano-Solomon, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Kelsey Kapeliela, Damian Maria, Bryce Motomatsu, and Shiloh Perez.

Cell Phone Policy: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Zekaria Duque, Johnnette Emeliano, Kaihawanawana & Kamaalea Emeliano-Solomon, JSean Giron, John Hageraats, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Kelsey Kapeliela, MJ Macaspac, Joselyn Medeiros, Shiloh Perez, Gideon Rabang, Allysa Starr-Boyle, Logan Thornton and Will Touchet.