October 3, 2017

Attention students who are interested in Kohala High School Speech Club (KHSSC): Your $10 membership dues are DUE Wednesday October 4 to Ms White or Mr Peterson. Nominations for the office of President, Vice-President, Secretary and treasurer will be accepted up to the end of school day Wednesday Oct 4. Elections will be held on Thursday at lunch recess in Mr Peterson’s room. Only paid members are eligible to hold office and/ or to vote. So please , get your dues in and get your nominations in to Mr Peterson or Ms White ASAP!!! Speak on!!

Hawaii Pacific University is going to be on Campus tomorrow, OCT 4 at 8:00 in Room 17. Don’t forget to get your Permission Form signed.

Reminder to those registered for the SAT test….it is this Saturday, Oct 7. Report at 7:45 to the Library. You must have your ADMISSION TICKET and PHOTO ID to be admitted. Bring a calculator, #2 pencils and snacks for breaks. NO CELL PHONES allowed. Get GOOD SLEEP! Any questions, see Ms. Nietfeld

Juniors and Seniors… Interested in attending a college in your future? The College and Career Fair will be having 70-80 college admissions representatives on site at the Mauna Lani Hotel on Friday, October 27. Sign up, get your permission form completed and your college research done now… only 48 students will be allowed to attend due to bus capacity. See Ms. Nietfeld for the forms.

Juniors and Seniors considering the military career or an ROTC scholarship? You will need to take the ASVAB test.  The ASVAB Test date has been set for Wednesday, November 8. It is scheduled for 9:30-12:30. You will need to “check in” at the end of period 2. It is free. Sign up in the Counselor’s office and pick up Permission Form.

SENIORS… did you know that you could get accepted to UH-Hilo “on the spot”? Yes… a admissions representative from UH-Hilo will be at Kohala High school on Friday, October 20 during period 2 and 4. Sign up for a time to interview and meet with the representative in the counselor’s office. If you are planning to apply to UH-Hilo and want immediate results, 1) Complete the UH-Hilo paper application, 2) get a copy of your official transcript and SAT or ACT scores and 3) have application payment ($50) or application fee waiver (FREE) ready. YOU WILL GET IMMEDIATE FEEDBACK and satisfy part of your PTP requirement!!! See Ms. Nietfeld or Ms. Hedlund for application and details.

Makeups for Picture taking will be on October 20 Friday in the Library. Forms are available in the office. Seniors come to room 34 (Mrs. Hoy) to make your appt time that morning when underclassmen are complete.

Want to attend a great Art school? One of which happens to be Mrs. Hoy’s alma mater? Well first, you have to get in. See Mrs. Hoy to find out what you need to do to prepare your portfolio or go to: https://www.cca.edu/admissions/undergrad/portfolio, for more info.

Fall break is a perfect time to do this. Portfolio reviews for the California College of Arts &Crafts (San Francisco) and Pacific Northwest College of Art (Portland) will be on Saturday, October 28th from10am-2pm in the Parker School Visual Arts Room. In one month’s time you can demonstrate what you have that an art school can help develop.

Yearbooks! Yearbooks! Yearbooks! Want to be able to look back at this year and see all the memories that were made? Preorder yearbooks NOW while the presale continues! Basic for $45.00 and Deluxe with your name printed on the cover for $50.00. Check out the poster in the hallway and bring your cash or check to Mrs. Hoy’s Rm. 34 during morning or lunch recess!

ATTENTION STUDENTS!

Please be aware that:

1. CSC IS OFF LIMITS! Once you come to campus, you MAY NOT leave to go to CSC…not before school, not for recess, and not for lunch.
  2. This year we will continue to give confiscated vaping devices (“mods”) to the police department. Officers will give a ticket to the student who had the mod in his/her possession. This ticket will require a court appearance. To avoid this, please DO NOT bring vaping devices, liquid, or any vape paraphernalia to school.

If you are 15 1/2 or older and have a Driver Learner’s permit, we will be having a mandatory driver’s ed meeting on October 3, Tuesday, during 1st recess in Mr. Kealoha’s class, room C18.   There is a change in policy regarding applications. All old applications that was submitted to me will be voided. You will receive a new application during the meeting for you to take home and complete and bring that with you and your parent/guardian to the Parent/Student meeting. We will also be having our first parent/student Driver’s Ed meeting on October 17, Tuesday, at 6:30 pm in the school library. The parent/student meeting is a requirement and is count as 1.5 hours of classroom time. If your parent or legal guardian does not attend the meeting, you will not be able to continue the DE session.   If you have any questions regarding the meetings on the 3rd and 17th of October, please see Mr. Kealoha in room C18

All Drivers Ed students who have completed both the Drivers Ed classroom and Behind-the-wheel drives, and received their notarized certificates after September 9, you will not be able to make appointments for your road test with a DMV instructor until after October 6. If you did receive your certificates and it’s been notarized before Sept. 9, you can make an appointment with the DMV instructor at anytime. If anyone has questions regarding the scheduling of meeting or making an appointment for your road test, pls. see Mr. Kealoha.

All Federal Survey Forms should be turned in by this Thurs., Oct. 5!! If you have not given it to your parent yet, pls. do so immediately!!! Parent phone calls have started for those of you who did not turn them in yet. We are striving to get 100% surveys turned in ASAP. Thank you very much for those who already did!!

The Student Credit Union is now accepting applications for 3 new student teller positions. This is a PAID job! If you are interested, pls. see Ms. Kise in Rm. 35 for an application.

Quarter War is here. Be sure to drop some quarters in your class jar in the office to earn points for your class and pennies, dimes and nickels in another class jar to deduct points from them. The class with the most money collected at the end of October will receive an additional 100 points. All funds will be used to purchase items for Kohala Hospital.

There is a Winterball Committee mtg. this Thurs., Oct. 5 during first recess in Ms. Ubilas’ room. Any student still interested in being on the committee are welcome to attend.

October is breast cancer awareness month.  About 1 in every 8 women in the United States will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.  To show your support to those who have fought against and are currently fighting against breast cancer, wear pink to school every Wednesday this month.  Spirit points will also be awarded to each class for those who come to school dressed in pink.

There is a mandatory Winterball court meeting today during first recess in Ms. Ubilas’ room to go over court requirements.  Please be prompt.

Want to be able to wear your hat to school and in class without the teacher telling you to take it off? On Oct. 5 you can!! Donate $1 to the Heavenly Hats Foundation between Sept. 22 and oct. 4 during first recess and receive a pass that will allow you to wear your favorite hot in class on Oct. 5. The Heavenly Hats Foundation donates hats to cancer patients across the US, so help support a good cause while you wear that hat. See Ms. Ubilas or the hallway bulletin board for more info.

The following students have bus passes ready to pick up in the office: Jessa May Campollo, Grant Dewitt, Moses Emeliano, Marc & Roy Francisco, Jarom Hook and Zay Moniz.

The following students have missing packet forms. If you need another form, ask someone in the office.

Receipt Packet: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Shiloh Perez, Reyanna Savedra and Wesley Van Housen.

Emergency Card: Haedyn Ayin, Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Shiloh Perez and Wesley Van Housen.

School Parent Compact Form: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Shiloh Perez and Wesley Van Housen.

Media Release Form: Haedyn Ayin, Krisha Baustista, Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Mitchell Canniff, John Hageraats, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel and Shiloh Perez.

Technology: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Shiloh Perez and Nathan Romero.

Emergency Release: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel and Shiloh Perez.

McKinney Vento Questionnaire: Aukai Aipia, Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Damian Maria and Shiloh Perez.

Cell Phone Policy: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Johnnette Emeliano, Kaihawanawana Emeliano-Solomon, JSean Giron, John Hageraats, Kaimana Kamaile-Isabel, Kelsey Kapeliela, MJ Macaspac, Joselyn Medeiros, Shiloh Perez, Gideon Rabang, Allysa Star-Boyle and Logan Thornton.