October 23, 2017

Due to Elem. School parent conferences, all student bus riders must report to the bus stop immediately after school.

Attention Sophomores:  Please report to Ms. Petruzzi’s room at the start of lunch recess today to discuss details for class fundraiser.

Girls Basketball conditioning begins today at 4pm. Pls. meet in the front of the Kamehameha park gym with your shoes, jacket and water bottle. Reminder that current physicals are required to participate. Try-outs will be held from Wed., Nov. 1 to Fri., Nov. 3. Again, current physicals are required to participate in conditioning and tryouts.

Student who signed up for the ACT test on Oct 28... please note that the ACT has been moved to HPA-upper campus due to low volume at Kohala High.   You will need to reprint your Admissions Ticket to allow entry into the test. If you have any questions, see Ms. Nietfeld

Planning on attending the College and Career Fair at Mauna Lani? Return your forms to Ms. Nietfeld before the bus fills up with the first 48 students to return their form!

Juniors and Seniors: Interested in taking a college class in high school and earning BOTH high school and college credit AT THE SAME TIME? Do you have a 3.0 GPA? Well, we are offering Astronomy 110, Hawaiian Language 100, Sociology 100 and IS 101 starting 2nd Semester. See Ms. Nietfeld ASAP for more information. All registration MUST be completed by November 1.

Students age 16 or older, Interested in working at Mauna Lani over the Christmas break (Dec 22 to Jan 7). Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows is beginning their hiring of Bussers, Host/ess, Beach and Pool Attendants, Fitness Attendants, Food Runners, Kitchen Help and Cooks. Training is on the job and uniforms are provided. You must have reliable transportation and be flexible with work hours. See Ms. Nietfeld for more information.

Driver’s Ed students who need to finish their BTW, pls. see Mr. Kometani for scheduling. Thank you.

October is breast cancer awareness month.  About 1 in every 8 women in the United States will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.  To show your support to those who have fought against and are currently fighting against breast cancer, wear pink to school every Wednesday this month.  Spirit points will also be awarded to each class for those who come to school dressed in pink.

Quarter War is here. Be sure to drop some quarters in your class jar in the office to earn points for your class and pennies, dimes and nickels in another class jar to deduct points from them. The class with the most money collected at the end of October will receive an additional 100 points. All funds will be used to purchase items for Kohala Hospital.

The following students have bus passes ready to pick up in the office: Elijah Antonio, Jonard & Brennan Asencion, Jordan Ayoso, Deighton Bell, Moses Emeliano, Kara Fernandez, Marc Francisco and Lilly Lindsey.

The following students have missing packet forms. If you need another form, ask someone in the office.

Receipt Packet:                  Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Reyanna Savedra and Wesley Van Housen.

Emergency Card: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, and Wesley Van Housen.

School Parent Compact Form: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho and Wesley Van Housen.

Media Release Form: Krisha Baustista and Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho

Technology: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho

Emergency Release: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho

McKinney Vento Questionnaire: Aukai Aipia and Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho

Cell Phone Policy: Nainoa Canionero-Carvalho, Johnnette Emeliano, Gideon Rabang, Allysa Star-Boyle and Logan Thornton.

STUDENTS AND TEACHERS:

Pls. welcome our new BISAC Counselor, Ms. Moani Silva to campus. Ms. Silva will be working in Bldg. D BISAC office. She plans to be on campus 2-3 days every week. Ms. Silva is available to any student needing BISAC services. Pls. give her a warm welcome when you see her!!

Big Island Substance Abuse Counseling (BISAC) provides services for prevention, intervention, and outreach in substance abuse education and counseling. Their school-based services include individual counseling, group counseling, healthy lifestyle experiences, and vocational training/career development. If you are in need of these services or know someone who may be in need, pls. see your BISAC Counselor, Ms. Silva.

Attention: All Leo club members and advisors. We will be having a club meeting on Thursday, 10/26, during lunch recess in the library. Food and drinks will be provided during the meeting. Meeting will start 5 minutes after the bell. Please be on time.

The Leo’s club will be doing it’s annual, “Adopt-A-Highway” clean up between mile markers 12 – 15, on Saturday, October 28 from 8 am to 10:30 am. We will have shirts provided for all new and returning members. Soft drinks and snacks will be provided as well.