KHS Soccer Team “Kicks Off” Season

Andrew Trump, Assistant Editor

The Fall sports season is now over and students at Kohala High have made the transition into basketball, wrestling, soccer, and paddling. There is a definite buzz around campus that has athletes and fans excited. After not having teams last year, the boys and girls soccer team had higher turnouts and both have teams. The girls are led by first year head coach Edison DelaCruz and assistant Evie Adams. The boys are coached by veteran head coach Peter Naungayan and assistant Paul Nahinu.

The boys and girls soccer teams have already kicked off their regular seasons. The girls team participated in Konawaena’s preseason tournament a couple weeks back, and although they lost both of their games, they were able to gain some on-field experience. It was especially good for all the new girls that came out for the team this year. The regular season started with a strong performance against Parker, but they came up just short when Parker scored a second half goal leading to a 1-0 loss. However they built off the strong defensive effort going into last Saturday’s when they hosted Ka’u. The Cowgirls won the game scoring on a goal from freshmen forward Riley Uehana by Ka’u but then the Trojans were able to fight back to tie the game at 1.  Then Genevieve Boyle sent a corner into the box and the ball deflected into the net for the score to give the Cowgirls their first win of the season. The Kohala girls are led by three captains; Senior defender Casey Utemei, Junior goalkeeper Kanani Wishard, and Freshmen midfielder Genevieve Boyle.

The boys team did not have any preseason games, but a handful of the boys played AYSO U-19 club soccer this fall. The practices and games played before the season started has helped a bunch of the boys gain chemistry. However the boys had a rude awakening to start the season against Parker where they were blanked 8-0. The team rebounded to win their home game against Ka’u in a 6-2 high scoring showdown. The Cowboys got a goal from captain Elias Hood and Sophomore Daylan Higa buried another in the first half giving them a 2-o lead heading into halftime. The other captain for the Cowboys is senior Mana Akima. The boys were able to build on the lead in the second half with goals from Josiah Adams, Josh Rodrigues-Berdon, Efren Abellera and Derek Moreno. Nearly half of the boy’s have little to none experience playing soccer so they are expected to improve as the season goes on.

The team is now preparing for a showdown against Makua Lani on Wednesday at home. Even though Makua Lani has a very small enrollment, they have been known to put together some very good soccer teams. It will be a tough test for both the boys and girls, but the players have some confidence from their past win. The boys will start at 2 P.M. and the girls game will follow at around 4 P.M.