January 11, 2018

All interested Football players for the 2018 season, please meet in the library on Wed., Jan. 17, 2018 for a quick sign-up mtg. Mahalo.

Attention all interested Driver’s Ed students: If you are 15 1/2 or older and interested in taking Driver’s Ed, we will be having a meeting on Wednesday, January 17th, during recess in Mr. Kealoha’s classroom. You will receive a parent letter to take home at the meeting. Your attendance will determine if there are enough students to start the class. Please be prompt.

Our parent/student Driver’s Ed meeting will be on January 23, Tuesday, at 6:30 pm in the school library. And please disregard the December parent letter regarding the parent/student meeting that was scheduled for the 16th of January. That has been cancelled to the 23rd.

There has been a change in policy regarding Driver’s Ed applications. Applications will only be accepted at the Parent meeting. You may pick up an application prior to the meeting night and take it home to be completed. Bring that with you and your parent to the Parent/Student meeting along with a (xerox) copy of your Driver’s permit. The parent/student meeting is a requirement and is count as 1.5 hours of classroom time. If you do not attend the meeting, along with a parent or legal guardian, you will not be able to continue in the DE session. The cost is $10.00. We do accept personal check. Please make it out to: Kohala High School.   If you have any questions regarding the meetings on the 23rd of January, please contact Mr. Kealoha at: 889-5298 or 895-5915.

Are you a good presenter? Do you like poetry? Do you like cash prizes? If so, consider competing in this year’s Poetry Out Loud competition, held in Ms. Petruzzi’s room (37) on Friday, January 26 during Resource. In order to compete, you must choose a poem (with at least 14 lines) from poetryoutloud.org and recite it from memory. Competitors will be scored on the criteria of; physical presence, voice & articulation, dramatic appropriateness, evidence of understanding, and accuracy. The school winner will go on to compete for the title state-champion in Honolulu, with the potential to join the national competition in Washington D.C. for a $20,000 prize. Sign up sheets are in the main office. Deadline to sign up is January 25. See poetryoutloud.org for more information.

The following students have bus passes ready to be picked up in the office: Jordan Ayoso, Deighton Bell, Jovylyn Campollo, Kara Fernandez, Marc Francisco, Gayle Lum, Bryce Motomatsu and John Nicolas.

Attention All Quarterly Bus Riders: Students who are on the Quarterly Payment Plan must purchase a new bus pass by Friday, January 12th. You will need your bus pass in hand on Tuesday the 16th. No Bus Pass, No Ride.

Juniors & Seniors: Are you interested in being on this year’s Prom Court? Have a friend that you think should be on court? Prom Court nominations begin next week Tuesday until Friday in the front office. All nominees must be current juniors and seniors and cannot have been on Homecoming or Winterball court.

If you ordered pictures at Winterball, they are available for pick up during first recess and lunch recess in Ms. Ubilas’ room.

Are you interested in being on next year’s STUCO?  You do not need to be a senior to apply for STUCO, you must only want to see a change in the school and be willing to work hard to serve the student body.  Applications are now available in the office for those students who are interested in applying and are due to Ms. Ubilas by Friday, February 2nd.  See Ms. Ubilas if you have any questions.

STUDENTS and TEACHERS:

Come and check out First Friday! Vendors are still welcome and applications are still available in the main office.