January 17, 2018

All interested Football players for the 2018 season, please meet in the library today for a quick sign-up meeting. Mahalo.

Attention all interested Driver’s Ed students: If you are 15 1/2 or older and interested in taking Driver’s Ed, we will be having a meeting today during recess in Mr. Kealoha’s classroom. You will receive a parent letter to take home at the meeting. Your attendance will determine if there are enough students to start the class. Please be prompt.

Our parent/student Driver’s Ed meeting will be on January 23, Tuesday, at 6:30 pm in the school library. And please disregard the December parent letter regarding the parent/student meeting that was scheduled for the 16th of January. That has been cancelled to the 23rd.

There has been a change in policy regarding Driver’s Ed applications. Applications will only be accepted at the Parent meeting. You may pick up an application prior to the meeting night and take it home to be completed. Bring that with you and your parent to the Parent/Student meeting along with a (xerox) copy of your Driver’s permit. The parent/student meeting is a requirement and is count as 1.5 hours of classroom time. If you do not attend the meeting, along with a parent or legal guardian, you will not be able to continue in the DE session. The cost is $10.00. We do accept personal check. Please make it out to: Kohala High School.   If you have any questions regarding the meetings on the 23rd of January, please contact Mr. Kealoha at: 889-5298 or 895-5915.

Are you a good presenter? Do you like poetry? Do you like cash prizes? If so, consider competing in this year’s Poetry Out Loud competition, held in Ms. Petruzzi’s room (37) on Friday, January 26 during Resource. In order to compete, you must choose a poem (with at least 14 lines) from poetryoutloud.org and recite it from memory. Competitors will be scored on the criteria of: physical presence, voice & articulation, dramatic appropriateness, evidence of understanding, and accuracy. The school winner will go on to compete for the title state-champion in Honolulu, with the potential to join the national competition in Washington D.C. for a $20,000 prize. Sign up sheets are in the main office. Deadline to sign up is January 25. See poetryoutloud.org for more information.

Nominations for Prom Court continue today in the office.  As a reminder, students may only be nominated for the grade level that they are currently registered as and can not have been on the Homecoming or Winter Ball courts this year.

Class Meetings are scheduled for this Friday during advisory.  Freshmen please report to the library, Sophomores to Aunty Shirley’s room, Juniors to Ms. Kise’s room and Seniors to Ms. Tanaka’s room.

Attention Class Officers, there is a mandatory meeting today during brunch recess in Ms. Brown’s room.  Please be prompt.

Attention all May Day applicants: May Day interviews are today during periods 2 and 4 during your assigned time.  You must have turned in an Activity Approval Form to Ms. Ubilas to interview.  Please note that due to construction, interviews have been moved to the Library.  Please be on time for your interview.

Are you interested in being on next years STUCO?  You do not need to be a senior to apply for STUCO, you must only want to see a change in the school and be willing to work hard to serve the student body.  Applications are now available in the office for those students who are interested in applying and are due to Ms. Ubilas by Friday, February 2nd.  See Ms. Ubilas if you have any questions.

Boys Basketball hosts Pahoa @ Hisaoka Gym. Game @ 6pm.