After missile scare on Saturday, what is Hawaii doing to prepare for the next alarm that won’t be sent by accident?

Sierra Shaw, Reporter

Saturday, January 13, 2018 at approximately 8:07 in the morning a  ballistic missile warning was sent to  almost every phone in the state of Hawaii that read “BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER THIS IS NOT A DRILL.” The fact that the notification said “THIS IS NOT A DRILL.” very clearly, sent the whole state into panic mode as drivers stopped their cars and ran to underground tunnels and even stuck their kids down manholes.

Of course many people’s first instincts were to run to safety and make sure families were together, but after the fact sunk in, many people were faced with the realization that there are no shelters, on any islands!

Thankfully this was a false alarm which was a HUGE mistake to make, but where do we go when its real? What happens when no one has a secure place to run to when any of the 194 other countries in the world send a missile our way? It is said that Hawaii has top notch defense systems but anything can go wrong; it is best to be prepared.