January 22, 2018

Our parent/student Driver’s Ed meeting is scheduled for tomorrow at 6:30 pm in the school library. And please disregard the December parent letter regarding the parent/student meeting that was scheduled for the 16th of January. That has been cancelled to the 23rd.

There has been a change in policy regarding Driver’s Ed applications. Applications will only be accepted at the Parent meeting. You may pick up an application prior to the meeting night and take it home to be completed. Bring that with you and your parent to the Parent/Student meeting along with a (xerox) copy of your Driver’s permit. The parent/student meeting is a requirement and is count as 1.5 hours of classroom time. If you do not attend the meeting, along with a parent or legal guardian, you will not be able to continue in the DE session. The cost is $10.00. We do accept personal check. Please make it out to: Kohala High School.   If you have any questions regarding the meetings on the 23rd of January, please contact Mr. Kealoha at: 889-5298 or 895-5915.

Are you a good presenter? Do you like poetry? Do you like cash prizes? If so, consider competing in this year’s Poetry Out Loud competition, held in Ms. Petruzzi’s room (37) on Friday, January 26 during Resource. In order to compete, you must choose a poem (with at least 14 lines) from poetryoutloud.org and recite it from memory. Competitors will be scored on the criteria of; physical presence, voice & articulation, dramatic appropriateness, evidence of understanding, and accuracy. The school winner will go on to compete for the title state-champion in Honolulu, with the potential to join the national competition in Washington D.C. for a $20,000 prize. Sign up sheets are in the main office. Deadline to sign up is January 25. See poetryoutloud.org for more information.

Are you interested in being on next years STUCO?  You do not need to be a senior to apply for STUCO, you must only want to see a change in the school and be willing to work hard to serve the student body.  Applications are now available in the office for those students who are interested in applying and are due to Ms. Ubilas by Friday, February 2nd.  See Ms. Ubilas if you have any questions.

Mandatory Varsity Softball practice begins on Monday, January 29 at 4pm at Kamehameha Park. Physicals required.

STUDENTS and TEACHERS:

The next First Friday is scheduled for Feb. 2. Then, March 2, April 6, and lastly, May 4, 2018. Applications are in the main office. The more applicants we have, the more reasons of keeping Kohala High School First Friday alive.