January 30, 2018

Attention Leo Club members. We will be having a meeting on Thursday, February 8 during lunch recess at the library. Please wear your Leo Club shirt for a yearbook photo. We will have light snacks, so bring your lunch to the meeting. Mahalo

Chayden Osaki……….Congratulations on being a top scorer in the State of Hawaii for Achieve 3000 Literacy Solutions. Chayden will attend a special celebration at the Hilton tomorrow.

All students interested in playing tennis this year, see Ms. Brown for practice start date and schedule times.

Seniors DID YOU KNOW The Hawaii Community Foundation scholarship program consists of over 200 different scholarship funds established by generous individuals, businesses or organizations to assist Hawaii residents in obtaining a college education Students apply to the program and, if eligible, can be awarded from one or more of these funds. Apply online at www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org. deadline is this week Wednesday, Jan 31!!!!

Seniors there is another great scholarship opportunity that should not go untapped. It is the Mamoru & Aiko Takitani Scholarship and it awards $1,000 to one Kohala High student who plans to attend an accredited /licensed business school, technical school, community college or four-year college. Applications now available at www.takitanifoundation.org . See Ms. Nietfeld for additional details. Deadline is this week Thursday, Feb 1. All application pieces must be turned in the Ms. Nietfeld in one large envelope.

Seniors, don’t miss out on all the scholarship opportunities. Check out the Scholarship Binder in Ms. Nietfeld’s office. The deadlines for many great scholarships are approaching very quickly.

Juniors and Seniors who are interested in a career with the United States Coast Guard, there will be a presentation on Tuesday, Feb 6 from 1:15 to 2:11 in Room 19. Stop by the counselor’s office to get a Permission Form.

Congratulations to this year’s Prom Court.  The junior representatives are Dawstin Hoopai & Shania Fuertes and Joseph Pasco & Mekaila Pasco.  The senior representatives are Dregn Roque-Lewis & Missy Fernandez and Bohdi Amar & Nicole Castillo.  This year’s Prom King and Queen are Jason Enojardo and Jashel Jose.  There is a mandatory court meeting today during first recess in Ms. Ubilas’ room.  Please be prompt.

Congratulations to this year’s May Day Court.  Court positions are posted on the hallway bulletin boards.  There is a mandatory May Day court meeting on Thursday after school in Ms. Ubilas’ room to go over rehearsal schedules.  Please be prompt.

Are you interested in being on next year’s STUCO?  You do not need to be a senior to apply for STUCO, you must only want to see a change in the school and be willing to work hard to serve the student body.  Applications are now available in the office for those students who are interested in applying and are due to Ms. Ubilas by Friday, February 2nd.  See Ms. Ubilas if you have any questions.

Attention Seniors: If you are on the graduation committee, there is a mandatory meeting tomorrow during brunch recess in Ms. Ubilas room to go over our class song and commencement speaker options. Please be Prompt.

STUDENTS and TEACHERS:

Congratulations to Kaya-Lee Galan, for stepping in as Kohala High School’s 2018 Poetry Out Loud representative! Wish her luck as she prepares for the state-finals next month!

Come and check out First Friday from 4pm-7pm. Then, March 2, April 6, and lastly, May 4, 2018. Applications are in the main office. The more vendors we have, the more merrier it will be and reasons of keeping Kohala High School First Friday alive. So far …………Kalua Nachos, Beef Cowboy Stew, Laulau, Shave ice, Musubis, Pork Adobo, Curry Stew, Hot dog & chips pack, Kidzforacause Super Slime by Sydnie & Marley, Color Street with Teresa M, and Kidzforacause Hula Clinic Registration by Chyenne Book. Also, featuring Movie Night……..Secret Life of Pets at 6pm and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales at 8pm.

Boys Basketball travels to Keaau. Game @ 6pm. Bus leaves @ 2pm. Pls. excuse players @ 1:45pm.