February 2, 2018

Seniors: This is a reminder for our visit to Zeke tomorrow at 12pm. We will be meeting at his house. If you need directions and more information, ask Kiera Isabel. Thank you!

Attention Girls interested in technology & forensic science! Do you like solving puzzles?  Are you curious about cybersecurity? Do you like winning cool prizes?  ARE YOU INTERESTED IN SAVING THE WORLD? Hawaii’s young women in high school will be joining their peers from 17 other states and territories to participate in a fun and interactive series of cybersecurity challenges called GirlsGoCyberStart.  This innovative program, developed by SANS Institute, will introduce and inspire participants to discover and learn about this exciting, high-demand and rewarding career field where women make up only a fraction of today’s cybersecurity professionals.  GirlsGoCyberStart, which is played online and only requires a computer and an internet connection, runs February 20-25. Registration for GirlsGoCyberStart starts on January 29 and ends on February 16, 2018. Participating students do not need prior cybersecurity knowledge or programming experience. All that is required is a computer and an Internet connection. SEE Ms Fern White for additional details!

Attention Leo Club members. We will be having a meeting on Thursday, February 8 during lunch recess at the library. Please wear your Leo Club shirt for a yearbook photo. We will have light snacks, so bring your lunch to the meeting. Mahalo.

Juniors and Seniors: the College Board SAT Test is being administered at Kohala High on Sat. March 10, 2018. DEADLINE for registration is Feb 9. Registration for the SAT exam is to be completed online @ sat.org/register .If you are Free and Reduced Lunch, check with Ms. Nietfeld regarding a SAT test FEE WAIVER. There must be a minimum of 15 students or the Kohala site will be closed and students who signed up will be moved to another site.

Sophomores and Juniors: Kohala High is offering a college level class this summer. It is the ENGLISH 100 class. With successful completion, you will earn 1 High School English credit and 3 College credits. The course is set for Tuesdays and Thursdays June 12 to July 19 from 9:00-1:00. If interested see Ms. Nietfeld for additional information.

Beginning Feb 7 and March 20 , show your Maikai Card to any Foodland, Sac N Save or Foodland Farms Cashier and designate Kohala High to receive Maikai points. The more Points for our school, the more $2,000 Foodland scholarships our school can receive for our students.

GOT MONEY? NEED MONEY? Seniors don’t forget to complete the FAFSA for financial aid for college. This is could be your #1 source of financial aid for your future. Get the MONEY you DESERVE. Deadline for most colleges is MARCH 1. Need help with the FAFSA? See Ms. Nietfeld

Students who were in the PSY 100 college class last semester, please return your Psychology Textbook to Ms. Nietfeld as soon as possible. The textbooks will be used for subsequent PSY 100 classes at Kohala High School. Thank you!

Seniors, don’t miss out on all the scholarship opportunities. Check out the Scholarship Binder in Ms. Nietfeld’s office. The deadlines for many great scholarships are approaching very quickly.

Juniors and Seniors who are interested in a career with the United States Coast Guard, there will be a presentation on Tuesday, Feb 6 from 1:15 to 2:11 in Room 19. Stop by the counselor’s office to get a Permission Form.

Are you interested in learning how to sew?  Wanna learn how to make your own bag or pillow?  Join Ms. Ubilas after school on Tuesdays and Thursday from 3:00-5:00pm to learn some sewing skills.  Permission forms are available in Ms. Brown’s classroom.  Classes begin on February 13.  See the flyer on the bulletin board for more information.

Are you interested in being on next year’s STUCO?  You do not need to be a senior to apply for STUCO, you must only want to see a change in the school and be willing to work hard to serve the student body.  Applications are now available in the office for those students who are interested in applying and are due to Ms. Ubilas today.  See Ms. Ubilas if you have any questions.

STUDENTS and TEACHERS:

Come and check out First Friday today from 4pm-7pm. Then, March 2, April 6, and lastly, May 4, 2018. Applications are in the main office. The more vendors we have, the more merrier it will be and reasons of keeping Kohala High School First Friday alive. So far …………Kalua Nachos, Beef Cowboy Stew, Laulau, Shave ice, Musubis, Pork Adobo, Curry Stew, Smoke meat, Roast Pork, Hot dog & chips pack for Kidzforacause Super Slime by Sydnie & Marley, Color Street with TeresaM, and Kidzforacause Hula Clinic Registration by Chyenne Book. Also, featuring Movie Night……..Secret Life of Pets at 6pm and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales at 8pm.

Saturday:            Boys Basketball hosts Hilo @ Hisaoka gym. Game @ 6pm.