February 5, 2018

Attention Girls interested in technology & forensic science! GirlsGoCyberStart runs February 20-25.

Registration for GirlsGoCyberStart started on January 29 and ends on February 16, 2018. Participating students do not need prior cybersecurity knowledge or programming experience, just acomputer and an internet connection,. See Ms. Fern White for additional details.

Attention Leo Club members. We will be having a meeting on Thursday, February 8 during lunch recess at the library. Please wear your Leo Club shirt for a yearbook photo. We will have light snacks, so bring your lunch to the meeting. Mahalo.

Juniors and Seniors who are interested in speaking with Officer Holly from the United States Navy, he will be on campus in the counselor’s office at 10:30 on Tuesday, Feb 6. Sign up with Ms. Nietfeld for a visit.

ALSO Juniors and Seniors who are interested in a career with the United States Coast Guard, there will be a presentation   Tomorrow, Feb 6 from 1:15 to 2:11 in Room 19. Stop by the counselor’s office to get a Permission Form.

Juniors and Seniors who are interested in an opportunity to study abroad in Japan AND earn a 2 yr degree… come to the Hawaii Tokai University presentation on Feb 15, 2018 from 8:10-9:00 in Room 17. Stop by the counselor’s office to get a Permission Form.

Students age 14 to 17, the United States Department of Agriculture is sponsoring an AgDiscovery program for you. This is a unique opportunity for students to experience agricultural science, and learn about careers in animal and plant disciplines, wildlife management, veterinary medicine, biotechnology, entomology, food safety, food production, agribusiness, forestry, and LOTS more! The program will be held at the University of Hawaii, Manoa from July 8-21. All costs, except transportation to and from the program, are covered by the AgDiscovery program. If you would like more information and an application, see Ms. Nietfeld!

Juniors and Seniors: the College Board SAT Test is being administered at Kohala High on Sat. March 10, 2018. DEADLINE for registration is Feb 9. Registration for the SAT exam is to be completed online @ sat.org/register .If you are Free and Reduced Lunch, check with Ms. Nietfeld regarding a SAT test FEE WAIVER. There must be a minimum of 15 students or the Kohala site will be closed and students who signed up will be moved to another site.

Sophomores and Juniors: Kohala High is offering a college level class this summer. It is the ENGLISH 100 class. With successful completion, you will earn 1 High School English credit and 3 College credits. The course is set for Tuesdays and Thursdays June 12 to July 19 from 9:00-1:00. If interested see Ms. Nietfeld for additional information.

Beginning Feb 7 and March 20 , show your Maikai Card to any Foodland, Sac N Save or Foodland Farms Cashier and designate Kohala High to receive Maikai points. The more Points for our school, the more $2,000 Foodland scholarships our school can receive for our students.

GOT MONEY? NEED MONEY? Seniors don’t forget to complete the FAFSA for financial aid for college. This is could be your #1 source of financial aid for your future. Get the MONEY you DESERVE. Deadline for most colleges is MARCH 1. Need help with the FAFSA? See Ms. Nietfeld

Students who were in the PSY 100 college class last semester, please return your Psychology Textbook to Ms. Nietfeld as soon as possible. The textbooks will be used for subsequent PSY 100 classes at Kohala High School. Thank you!

Seniors, don’t miss out on all the scholarship opportunities. Check out the Scholarship Binder in Ms. Nietfeld’s office. The deadlines for many great scholarships are approaching very quickly.

Juniors and Seniors who are interested in a career with the United States Coast Guard, there will be a presentation Tomorrow, Feb 6 from 1:15 to 2:11 in Room 19. Stop by the counselor’s office to get a Permission Form.

Are you interested in learning how to sew?  Wanna learn how to make your own bag or pillow?  Join Ms. Ubilas after school on Tuesdays and Thursday from 3:00-5:00pm to learn some sewing skills.  Permission forms are available in Ms. Brown’s classroom.  Classes begin on February 13.  See the flyer on the bulletin board for more information.

Boys Volleyball conditioning will resume on Wednesday, February 7th. Time to be announced. Tryouts will be held on February 12 &13. Try outs is mandatory. Please have a current physical turned in. Jacket and water bottle required.