February 9, 2018

Seniors: On Wed., Feb. 21 weather permitting, Yearbook will be taking the senior mob shot photo on the back field during morning recess.

Juniors and Seniors who are interested in an opportunity to study abroad in Japan AND earn a 2 yr degree… come to the Hawaii Tokai University presentation on Feb 15, 2018 from 8:10-9:00 in Room 17. Stop by the counselor’s office to get a Permission Form.

Students age 14 to 17 the United States Department of Agriculture is sponsoring an AgDiscovery program for you. This is a unique opportunity for students to experience agricultural science, and learn about careers in animal and plant disciplines, wildlife management, veterinary medicine, biotechnology, entomology, food safety, food production, agribusiness, forestry, and LOTS more! The program will be held at the University of Hawaii, Manoa from July 8-21. All costs, except transportation to and from the program, are covered by the AgDiscovery program. If you would like more information and an application, see Ms. Nietfeld!

Juniors and Seniors: the College Board SAT Test is being administered at Kohala High on Sat. March 10, 2018. DEADLINE for registration is today. Registration for the SAT exam is to be completed online @ sat.org/register .If you are Free and Reduced Lunch, check with Ms. Nietfeld regarding a SAT test FEE WAIVER. There must be a minimum of 15 students or the Kohala site will be closed and students who signed up will be moved to another site.

Sophomores and Juniors: Kohala High is offering a college level class this summer. It is the ENGLISH 100 class. With successful completion, you will earn 1 High School English credit and 3 College credits. The course is set for Tuesdays and Thursdays June 12 to July 19 from 9:00-1:00. If interested see Ms. Nietfeld for additional information.

Beginning Feb 7 and March 20 , show your Maikai Card to any Foodland, Sac N Save or Foodland Farms Cashier and designate Kohala High to receive Maikai points. The more Points for our school, the more $2,000 Foodland scholarships our school can receive for our students.

GOT MONEY? NEED MONEY? Seniors don’t forget to complete the FAFSA for financial aid for college. This is could be your #1 source of financial aid for your future. Get the MONEY you DESERVE. Deadline for most colleges is MARCH 1. Need help with the FAFSA? See Ms. Nietfeld

Class Meetings will be held today during Advisory.  Freshmen please meet in the Library, Sophomores in Aunty Shirley’s room, Juniors in Ms. Kise’s room and Seniors in Mr. Chertavian’s room.

Do you love to sing or play music?  Do you have a secret talent that you want to share?  Sign up to participate in the talent showcase at the JAMboree on March 10.  Sign-ups are in the office and end on March 2.  See Ms. Ubilas if you have any questions.

Do you need to get a gift for your valentine?  STUCO is selling Valentine Grams during recess in front of Mr. Peterson’s room.  Get a Chocolate Muffin for your STUD Muffin, a bouquet of candy roses for your special girl or something sweet for your friends to let them know you care.  Be sure to get them before they are gone!

Next week is Spirit Week so be sure to dress up each day to help earn your class some spirit points.  Monday is mixed-matched shoes, Tuesday is Sports Day, Wednesday is Red & Pink Day and Thursday is Favorite Meme day.  You must be in your class at the start of the period to earn points for your class.  Be sure to join us at lunch recess for a noon-time game to earn your class even more points.  See the bulletin board for more information.

Are you interested in learning how to sew?  Wanna learn how to make your own bag or pillow?  Join Ms. Ubilas after school and 21st Century on Tuesdays and Thursday from 3:00-5:00pm to learn some sewing skills.  Permission forms are available in Ms. Brown’s classroom.  Classes begin on February 13.  See the flyer on the bulletin board for more information.

Swimming HHSAA States @ Maui.  Please excuse girl athletes only all day.