February 22, 2018

The following students still need to turn in their soccer uniforms: Easton Chong, Alika Viernes, Joseph Jiminez, Zyan Paio Bratt, Shiloh Perez, Haedyn Ayin and Aukea Kaaekuahiwi. Pls. bring them to the office in Ms. Koustik’s box. Thank you.

Juniors and Seniors, Staff Sergeant Charles Gammons from the United States Army will be at Kohala High on Thursday, March 1 at 8:00 in Room 19. If you are interested in a career with the United States Army , Stop by the counselor’s office to get a Permission Form.

Attention all 11th grade students taking the ACT: On Tuesday, Feb 27 you will be taking the ACT test. Eat a healthy breakfast then report directly to the LIBRARY by 7:45 am.   If you are LATE you will be dismissed and must attend your regular classes. You will have to take the MAKEUP test on another day. There will be NO BRUNCH / LUNCH served. Remember to bring #2 pencils, a calculator, and NO CELL PHONES or electronic devices are allowed. Testing will be over by 1:00. GOOD LUCK!

Juniors: Stanford University is proud to partner with QuestBridge, a nonprofit that helps high-achieving, low-income students gain admission with full four-year scholarships or generous financial aid to the nation’s best colleges. The QuestBridge College Prep Scholars Program can give our high school juniors a head start in the college application process.

One of the many awards College Prep Scholars could receive is a full scholarship to a college summer program at Stanford, or one of QuestBridge’s other outstanding college partners. All College Prep Scholars will also be invited to participate in a QuestBridge National College Admissions Conference to learn from and interact with admissions representatives from 40 of the nation’s best colleges.When it’s time to apply to college, College Prep Scholars will be well prepared to submit the best application possible. All of QuestBridge’s 40 college partners – including Stanford – recognize College Prep Scholars as highly competitive candidates. The deadline for students to apply to the QuestBridge Program is March 21, 2018.

Today the Prom Court is due to Mrs. Hoy’s class at morning recess for a last attempt at pictures. Please SHOW UP!

Design a t-shirt for the Kamehameha Day celebration using the theme “Kipu’upu’u O Kamehameha” as your inspiration. This is open to all Kohala community members. Design is to be no larger than 8.5”x11”, cannot use trademark logos, graphics, or copies of art, and is limited to 3 colors. Submit no later than March 9, 2018 to Michelle at Kohala Village Hub. Include you name, phone # and address. Judging will be the end of March. The winning image will be printed on the 2018 Kamehameha Day t-shirt and announced in the Kohala Mountain News. See Mrs. Hoy for more information.

Do you love to sing or play music?  Do you have a secret talent that you want to share?  Sign up to participate in the talent showcase at the JAMboree on March 10.  Sign-ups are in the office and end on March 2.  See Ms. Ubilas if you have any questions.

Are you interested in learning how to sew?  Join Ms. Ubilas and 21st century today after school to learn some sewing skills and make something fun that you can take home with you.  See Ms. Brown for a permission form.

TEACHERS AND STUDENTS:

Reminder Leo’s Club members who signed up for Highway Clean Up: We will be meeting at the school cafeteria parking lot at 8am on Sat., March 3rd. We will then drive to Lapakahi and break up in groups of 2. Wear your Leo’s shirt for safety measures.