Students aren’t motivated in School; here’s why

Sierra Shaw, Reporter

Of course when you ask a student  between the ages of 12 and 18 if they like school, majority of them will jump on the bandwagon of, “oh my gosh I hate school; I hate having to get up early 5 days a week to go to a place I don’t even want to go to.”

Six hours a day, five days a week, for 13 whole years of kids’ lives are spent being taught subjects that most of them will forget the second they graduate high school. Clearly learning the basics in elementary like how to count, ABC’s, basic math, learning how to read, are all important things students should be taught to benefit their lives, but once they hit middle school they learn a whole lot of…. I can’t even remember what I learned in middle school because clearly it wasn’t important.

It’s not the teachers’ fault that we, the students, are being taught things that enter one ear and go out the other, but it is an important issue that students have motivation to learn and actually want to go to school in the morning. Ten years from now I don’t imagine myself looking back at my sophomore year overjoyed that I learned the difference between Mitosis and Meiosis, or being so glad that I learned how to use transitions and reflections in geometry.

When I graduate high school I want to have confidence in myself that I’m gonna make it in life knowing that I learned life skills that I will actually use to benefit my future. This year alone I have written almost 33 writing assignments for one class, majority of those pieces I don’t even remember. Of course I don’t expect to be able to recite every word I wrote, but if I spent so long stressing over deadlines, I expect to have the least bit of information that made these projects so important.

I’m not going to specify what class, but in the class which IS NOT AN ENGLISH CLASS OR ELA, I’m being graded for grammar in my essays, I understand that being a teacher, when you see a mistake you automatically want to correct it, but being that my grade goes down because of grammar on a essay that’s for a class that ISN’T EVEN AN ELA CLASS, you can imagine doesn’t make me the happiest. That’s aside from the issue here. I have been told I am a good writer, but in this specific class I’m not, because I’m not motivated to write.