Kohala High Changing School Schedule to Block Schedule.

Daryl Diaz, Reporter

After about ten years, Kohala High will be switching “Seventh Period Float” schedule to “Block” schedule in 2012- 2013 school year. There are lots of different versions of Block schedule, though Kohala High will be using the modified version.

Kohala High has tried to institute block schedule for about 10 years now and finally got to vote. Teachers passed it pretty overwhelmingly;  4 out of all the teachers voted against Block schedule. Soon teachers are going to train during this upcoming second semester for how to be better prepared for teaching in block schedule.

The difference between the schedule now and Block schedule is less classes on certain days, but longer class time. The idea behind Block schedule is to provide longer periods of learning in order to go more in depth in learning. The purpose is to increase learning opportunities within class periods and make sure students understand the lesson. With “Seventh Period Float” schedule, students may not understand what to do. Ideally, class would be organized in a manner where the lesson is presented, then students would do an activity pertaining to the lesson, then a recap at the end where students can ask questions if they still don’t understand. That way students would now how to do their homework, understanding it.

Students may like the new schedule for the idea of not having all six periods a day; most days will have four periods. On Mondays there will be all seven classes, Tuesdays and Thursdays will have the  odd numbered classes (1, 3, 5, 7), and Wednesdays and Fridays will have the even numbered classes (2, 4, 6).

Another positive addition to the Block schedule is tutoring for students after school. It is open for any student who wants to come, though will be mandatory for students who fall below a certain GPA. Colleen Pasco, English teacher at the school, says, “This will give a better opportunity for students who need one-on-one help in academics.” The built in tutoring at the end of the day will be on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.

Some students may not like the idea, while others do. Raina Thering, sophomore student, thinks it could be confusing at first, but it’ll work out fine when everyone gets used to it. Davyn Ramos, another sophomore, has gone to a school with Block schedule and worked fine for him. Ulu Vinluan, junior student, actually likes it, “I feel we could get more work done in class with more time. I know some upcoming seniors (like her) like it. I don’t see anything negative about the schedule, but it may be hard to adjust to as a senior.”