February 26, 2018

Please remember that the Elementary campus is OFF LIMITS!  Our school days sometimes end earlier than the Elementary School.  So, avoid walking through their campus when your day is done.  Mahalo.

The Kohala Center is offering an exciting opportunity for interested students to gain leadership and career experience through fieldwork in the Kohala Watershed.  Students will be eligible to receive up to $250 for successfully participating in field days and completing additional program requirements.  Program runs March 19 – 23 , during spring break, from 7:30am – 3:30pm. More information in the office with the science and agriculture teachers.

The following students still need to turn in their soccer uniforms:   Zyan Paio Bratt, Shiloh Perez and Haedyn Ayin.  Please bring them to the office in Ms. Koustik’s box.  Thank you.

Juniors and Seniors, Staff Sergeant Charles Gammons from the United States Army will be at Kohala High on Thursday, March 1 at 8:00 in Room 19.  If you are  interested in a career with the United States Army, stop by the counselor’s office to get a Permission Form.

Attention all  11th grade students taking the ACT:  Tomorrow you will be taking the ACT test.  Eat a healthy breakfast then report directly to the LIBRARY by 7:45 am.   If you are LATE  you will be dismissed and must attend your regular classes. You will have to take the MAKEUP test on another day.  There will be NO BRUNCH / LUNCH served. Remember to bring #2 pencils, a calculator, and NO CELL PHONES or electronic devices are allowed.  Testing will be over by 1:00.  GOOD LUCK!

Juniors: Stanford University is proud to partner with QuestBridge, a nonprofit that helps high-achieving, low-income students gain admission with full four-year scholarships or generous financial aid to the nation’s best colleges. The QuestBridge College Prep Scholars Program can give our high school juniors a head start in the college application process..

One of the many awards College Prep Scholars could receive is a full scholarship to a college summer program at Stanford, or one of QuestBridge’s other outstanding college partners. All College Prep Scholars will also be invited to participate in a QuestBridge National College Admissions Conference to learn from and interact with admissions representatives from 40 of the nation’s best colleges.When it’s time to apply to college, College Prep Scholars will be well prepared to submit the best application possible. All of QuestBridge’s 40 college partners – including Stanford – recognize College Prep Scholars as highly competitive candidates. The deadline for students to apply to the QuestBridge Program is March 21, 2018.

Attn All  Students:  Design a tshirt for the Kamehameha Day celebration using the theme  for your inspiration “Kipu’upu’u O Kamehameha.” This is open to all Kohala community members. No larger than 8.5”x11”, cannot use trademark logos, graphics, or copies of art, limited to 3 colors.  Submit no later than March 9, 2018, drop off at Kohala Village Hub, Attn. Michelle. Include you name, phone# and address. Judging will be the end of MARCH. THE winning image will be printed on the 2018 Kamehameha Day t-shirt and announced in the Kohala Mountain News.  See Mrs. Hoy for more information.

Are you interested in learning how to sew?  Join Ms. Ubilas and 21st century every Tuesday and Thursday after school to learn some sewing skills and make something fun that you can take home with you.  See Ms. Brown for a permission form.

Do you love to sing or play music?  Do you have a secret talent that you want to share?  Sign up to participate in the talent showcase at the JAMboree on March 10.  Sign-ups are in the office and end on March 2.  See Ms. Ubilas if you have any questions.

TEACHERS AND STUDENTS:

Reminder Leo’s Club members who signed up for Highway Clean Up:  We will be meeting at the school cafeteria parking lot at 8am on Sat., March 3rd.  We will then drive to Lapakahi and break up in groups of 2.  Wear your Leo’s shirt for safety measures.

It’s First Friday again!!  Vendors still welcomed, so pick up an application at the main office.  So far……..KHS Study Skills class collecting bagged recycle plastic & glass bottles and aluminum cans; Shave Ice; Smoke meat, musubis; Bubble drinks, mochi; Granny’s Candy Corner; Kealohi Kine cards, snacks & desserts; Taco Salad; KFAC Sydnie & Marley Slime and Kidz Hot Dog Paks; KFAC Hula Reg./Clinic with Chyenne.

Girls Softball hosts Kealakehe @ Kamehameha Park.  Game @ 3pm.  Please excuse players @ 1:15pm.