March 1, 2018

The Kohala Student Credit Union will be holding a highway clean-up this Saturday starting @ 8am. All Student Credit Union members are able to help. Come out and earn some community service hours and a free lunch. Sign up with Ms. Kise, if you’re interested.

To all interested Football players: Training sessions will be held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays @ 4pm on the school field. Mahalo.

Pls. remember that the Elementary campus is OFF LIMITS! Our school days sometimes end earlier than the Elementary School. So, avoid walking through their campus when your day is done. Mahalo.

The Kohala Center is offering an exciting opportunity for interested students to gain leadership and career experience through fieldwork in the Kohala Watershed. Students will be eligible to receive up to $250 for successfully participating in field days and completing additional program requirements. Program runs March 19 – 23, during spring break, from 7:30am – 3:30pm. More information in the office with the science and agriculture teachers.

Congratulations to those Seniors who have completed their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We now have 51% of the seniors with completion status. Check out the chart near the Library. If you have not completed the FAFSA or would like some assistance, see Ms. Nietfeld. This is your chance to qualify for financial aid for college or vocational school. FYI: At the end of quarter 3… there will be a drawing with the names of students who have completed their FAFSA. 5 students will win a $5.00 Gift Card to Starbucks!

REMINDER for those students who will be going on the GEAR UP College Tour to Oregon and Washington… there will be a Parent and Student Mandatory meeting on Tuesday, March 6 at 6:00 PM in Room 19. We will discuss flight schedule, roommates, trip itinerary, packing list and trip policies. Any question… See Ms. Nietfeld.

Reminder for those students taking the AP exams. Payment is due on or before MARCH 9!!. $44.00 per exam for Regular AP exam fee and $15.00 per exam for students with Free/ Reduced Lunch. Make checks payable to Kohala High School and put “AP exam Fee” in the memo line. If you do not provide payment, an exam will NOT be ordered for you. Thank you!

SENIORS: The Hawaii Lodging and Tourism Association and the Honolulu Star Advertiser, in partnership with the Hawaii State Department of Education (DOE) will present the Citizenship Awards Citizen-Scholar Award . It is presented to students who best exemplify citizenship in school and the community; contribute to making our state a better place and have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better. Recipients will receive a monetary scholarship of $1,000 to be used to continue their education. Students return completed application packet to Ms. Tia Ubilas by March 9, 2018)

Juniors and Seniors, Staff Sergeant Charles Gammons from the United States Army will be at Kohala High on Thursday, March 1 at 8:00 in Room 19. If you are interested in a career with the United States Army , Stop by the counselor’s office to get a Permission Form.

Design a t-shirt for the Kamehameha Day celebration using the theme “Kipu’upu’u O Kamehameha” as your inspiration. This is open to all Kohala community members. Designs can be no larger than 8.5”x11”, cannot use trademark logos, graphics, or copies of art, and is limited to 3 colors. Submit no later than March 9th to Michelle at Kohala Village Hub. Include you name, phone# and address. Judging will be the end of March. The winning image will be printed on the 2018 Kamehameha Day t-shirt and announced in the Kohala Mountain News. See Mrs. Hoy for more information.

Are you interested in learning how to sew?  Join Ms. Ubilas and 21st century every Tuesday and Thursday after school to learn some sewing skills and make something fun that you can take home with you.  See Ms. Brown for a permission form.

Juniors and Seniors, are you planning on attending prom?  Prom ticket sales begin on Monday March 5 and run until Friday March 16 and will take place during lunch recess in Ms. Ubilas’ room.  Permission forms are available in the front office and tickets cost $70 each.  Please remember that you must have no obligations or lunch loans in order to buy a prom ticket.

Do you love to sing or play music?  Do you have a secret talent that you want to share?  Sign up to participate in the talent showcase at the JAMboree on March 10.  Sign-ups are in the office and end on March 2.  See Ms. Ubilas if you have any questions.

TEACHERS AND STUDENTS:

Congratulations to the following students for their participation and recognition in the 34th Annual Na ‘Opio -Student Art Exhibition at the Fire House Gallery in Waimea, sponsored by the Waimea Arts Council in conjunction with Youth Art Month, celebrating the visual arts across the nation.

Grade 9: 1st Place   Clyson Igarashi-Marquez           Palila         Acrylic Painting

Grade 10: 2nd            Mitchell Canniff   Green Necklace           Ceramic                                                                                   3rd            Jada Hook     Coil Vase           Ceramic

Grade 11: 2nd            Shaharazad Gayle Lum         The Half Sisters   Acrylic Painting                                                                Lilly Lindsey “Face” Tempera Painting

Grade 12: 2nd            Francisco Manalo   Star Wars     Silk Painted Scarf

The exhibition will run from March 3-21. The gallery is open Wednesday-Sunday 11am-3pm. A reception will be held on Sunday March 4, from 3-5pm. All participants and their families are welcome to attend the awards presentation. The gallery is located next to the Thelma Parker gymnasium on the corner across the street from Bank of Hawaii.

Reminder Leo Club members who signed up for Highway Clean Up: We will be meeting at the school cafeteria parking lot at 8am on Sat., March 3rd. We will then drive to Lapakahi and break up in groups of 2. Wear your Leo’s shirt for safety measures.

It’s First Friday again!! Vendors still welcomed, so pick up an application at the main office. So far……..KHS Study Skills class collecting bagged recycle plastic & glass bottles and aluminum cans; Shave Ice; Smoke meat, musubis; Bubble drinks, mochi; Granny’s Candy Corner; Kealohi Kine cards, snacks & desserts; Kalua Cabbage; Taco Salad; KFAC Sydnie & Marley Slime and Kidz Hot Dog Paks; KFAC Hula Reg./Clinic with Chyenne.

Baseball hosts HPA @ Kamehameha Park. Game @ 3pm. Pls. excuse players @ 1:15pm.