March 5, 2018

To all interested Football players: Training sessions will be held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays @ 4pm on the school field. Mahalo.

The Kohala Center is offering an exciting opportunity for interested students to gain leadership and career experience through fieldwork in the Kohala Watershed. Students will be eligible to receive up to $250 for successfully participating in field days and completing additional program requirements. Program runs March 19 – 23, during spring break, from 7:30am – 3:30pm. More information in the office with the science and agriculture teachers.

If you have not completed the FAFSA or would like some assistance, see Ms. Nietfeld. This is your chance to qualify for financial aid for college or vocational school. FYI: At the end of quarter 3… there will be a drawing with the names of students who have completed their FAFSA. 5 students will win a $5.00 Gift Card to Starbucks!

REMINDER for those students who will be going on the GEAR UP College Tour to Oregon and Washington… there will be a Parent and Student Mandatory meeting, Tomorrow, March 6 at 6:00 PM in Room 19. We will discuss flight schedule, roommates, trip itinerary, packing list and trip policies. Any questions, see Ms. Nietfeld.

Reminder for those students taking the AP exams. Payment is due on or before MARCH 9!!. $44.00 per exam for Regular AP exam fee and $15.00 per exam for students with Free/ Reduced Lunch. Make checks payable to Kohala High School and put “AP exam Fee” in the memo line. If you do not provide payment, an exam will NOT be ordered for you. Thank you!

SENIORS: The Hawaii Lodging and Tourism Association and the Honolulu Star Advertiser, in partnership with the Hawaii State Department of Education (DOE) will present the Citizenship Awards Citizen-Scholar Award . It is presented to students who best exemplify citizenship in school and the community; contribute to making our state a better place and have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better. Recipients will receive a monetary scholarship of $1,000 to be used to continue their education. Students return completed application packet to Ms. Tia Ubilas by March 9, 2018)

Chyenne Book, Kiele Carpio, Daniel O’Donnell, and Christopher Tinfo, you still need to turn in your psychology textbook to Ms. Nietfeld in order to avoid an obligation. Thank you!

Kohala High is offering the following college level classes this Fall: Hawaiian Studies 100, Hospitality and Tourism Industry 100, Biology 100, Psychology 100.   With successful completion of a course, you will earn 1 High School credit and 3 College credits. If interested see Ms. Nietfeld for additional information.

Deadline for the Kamehameha Day t-shirt design contest is March 9. The theme is “Kipu’upu’u O Kamehameha,” no larger than 8.5”x11”, cannot use trademark logos, graphics, or copies of art, and is limited to 3 colors. Drop off at Kohala Village Hub, Attn. Michelle with your name, phone# and address. See Mrs. Hoy for more information.

Are you interested in serving as a class officer during the 2018-2019 school year?  Application packets are now available in the front office and are due to Ms. Ubilas by Thursday March 29.

Thursday March 8th is Tie-Dye day.  Do you have a tie-dyed shirt ready to go?  If not, see Ms. Ubilas or any Student Counsel Officer from Monday to Wednesday to buy your very own Tie-Dyed shirt for $5.  Shirts will be available for pick up on Thursday morning in Ms. Ubilas’ room before school.

Juniors and Seniors: Prom ticket sales begin today during lunch recess in Ms. Ubilas’ room.  Only current juniors and seniors may purchase a prom ticket and you must have a completed permission form and payment in order to buy a ticket and sign up for a table.  As a reminder, you may not have any outstanding obligations and lunch loans in order to attend prom.

Are you interested in learning how to sew?  Join Ms. Ubilas and 21st century every Tuesday and Thursday after school to learn some sewing skills and make something fun that you can take home with you.  See Ms. Brown for a permission form.