March 7, 2018

A national student led effort has designated March 14, 2018 as a School Walkout at 10:00 a.m. for 17 minutes representing the 17 lives lost in the recent tragedy in Parkland, Florida. In support of students’ constitutional rights to peaceful assembly and also of those choosing not to participate, guidelines have been established for students at Kohala High School. If you choose to participate in the walkout, please report directly to the school field near the announcer’s stand for the duration of the 17 minutes and report back to class promptly by 10:21 a.m.  Students understand that they will be responsible for work missed during this time.

To all interested Football players: Training sessions will be held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays @ 4pm on the school field. Mahalo.

If you have not completed the FAFSA or would like some assistance, see Ms. Nietfeld. This is your chance to qualify for financial aid for college or vocational school. FYI: At the end of quarter there will be a drawing with the names of students who have completed their FAFSA. 5 students will win a $5.00 Gift Card to Starbucks!

Payment for AP Exams is due on or before MARCH 9!!. $44.00 per exam for Regular AP exam fee and $15.00 per exam for students with Free/ Reduced Lunch. Make checks payable to Kohala High School and put “AP exam Fee” in the memo line. If you do not provide payment, an exam will NOT be ordered for you. Thank you!

The Citizenship Awards Citizen-Scholar Award is presented to students who best exemplify citizenship in school and the community, contribute to making our state a better place, and have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better. Recipients will receive a monetary scholarship of $1,000 to be used to continue their education. Students return completed application packet to Ms. Tia Ubilas by March 9, 2018.

Chyenne Book, Daniel O’Donnell, Christopher Tinfo need to return the PSY 100 textbook to Ms. Nietfeld ASAP. Thank you!

Kohala High is offering college level classes this Fall: Hawaiian Studies 100, Hospitality and Tourism Industry 100, Biology 100, and Psychology 100.   With successful completion of a course, you will earn 1 High School credit and 3 College credits. If interested see Ms. Nietfeld for additional information.

Thursday March 8th is Tie-Dye day.  See Ms. Ubilas or any Student Counsel Officer to buy your very own Tie-Dyed shirt for $5.  Shirts will be available for pick up on Thursday morning in Ms. Ubilas’ room before school.

Are you interested in serving as a class officer during the 2018-2019 school year?  Application packets are now available in the front office and are due to Ms. Ubilas by Thursday, March 29.

Prom ticket sales continue today during lunch recess in Ms. Ubilas’ room.  Only current juniors and seniors may purchase a prom ticket and you must have a completed permission form and payment in order to buy a ticket and sign up for a table.  As a reminder, you may not have any outstanding obligations and lunch loans in order to attend prom.

Join Ms. Ubilas and 21st century every Tuesday and Thursday after school to learn some sewing skills and make something fun that you can take home with you.  See Ms. Brown for a permission form.

Designs for the Kamehameha Day t-shirt contest must be turned in to Michelle at Kohala Village Hub by March 9. See Mrs. Hoy for more information or check the Daily Bulletin section of Ka Leo Nā ‘Opio.

Tennis hosts HPA @ Mauna Kea Beach. Meet starts @ 1pm. Pls. excuse players @ 11:30am.