March 8, 2018

Unfortunately, Kohala High School will not have a Track and Field team this year. Don’t fret! We will be offering a free and fun recreational Track and Field program through 21st Century without the stress of competition! You do not have to be a professional runner to come out, spend some time with us and better yourself. We will be covering the basics of how to run, learn about the types of races, experiment with shot put, learn basic strength-building exercises and have fun while doing it all! If you participated in Track and Field last year or want to next year, this would be a great way to continue your training. If you play fall sports and want to stay in shape, this would be a great way! If you just want to come out and get some exercise while having fun, pls. join Ms. Greene, Uncle Mike, and Mr. Anderson at the field! We will be having it at 3pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays only on days when school is in session. The first informational mtg. will be held in Ms. Greene’s room at 3pm today right after school. If you want to learn more and find out if this flexible program is a good fit for you, pls. come join us. P.S. There will be popcorn.

To all interested Football players: Training sessions will be held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays @ 4pm on the school field. Mahalo.

ALL Seniors planning to attend ANY of the Hawaii Community Colleges , you are required to take the Accuplacer Placement Test. The test is FREE for the first attempt, a second attempt will cost $25.00. If you need to take the test, we will take a group to the Hawaii Community College Testing Center on Thursday, April 26. Get more information and Permission form from Ms. Nietfeld if you plan to take this test.

Congratulations to those Seniors who have completed their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We now have 51% of the seniors with completion status. Check out the chart near the Library. If you have not completed the FAFSA or would like some assistance, see Ms. Nietfeld. This is your chance to qualify for financial aid for college or vocational school. FYI: At the end of quarter 3… there will be a drawing with the names of students who have completed their FAFSA. 5 students will win a $5.00 Gift Card to Starbucks!

Reminder for those students taking the AP exams. Payment is due on or before MARCH 9!!. $44.00 per exam for Regular AP exam fee and $15.00 per exam for students with Free/ Reduced Lunch. Make checks payable to Kohala High School and put “AP exam Fee” in the memo line. If you do not provide payment, an exam will NOT be ordered for you. Thank you!

SENIORS: The Hawaii Lodging and Tourism Association and the Honolulu Star Advertiser, in partnership with the Hawaii State Department of Education (DOE) will present the Citizenship Awards Citizen-Scholar Award . It is presented to students who best exemplify citizenship in school and the community; contribute to making our state a better place and have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better. Recipients will receive a monetary scholarship of $1,000 to be used to continue their education. Students return completed application packet to Ms. Tia Ubilas by March 9, 2018)

Chyenne Book, Daniel O’Donnell, Christopher Tinfo still need to turn in the PSY 100 textbook. This is an obligation. Thank you!

Sophomores and Juniors: Kohala High is offering college level classes this Fall. The classes are Hawaiian Studies 100, Hospitality and Tourism Industry 100, Biology 100, Psychology 100.   With successful completion of a course, you will earn 1 High School credit and 3 College credits. If interested see Ms. Nietfeld for additional information.

Attention Seniors: as a reminder, your graduation contracts are due to Ms. Ubilas by Friday.  Please be sure to turn them in.  If you need another copy, please see Ms. Ubilas ASAP.

Are you interested in serving as a class officer during the 2018-2019 school year?  Application packets are now available in the front office and are due to Ms. Ubilas by Thursday March 29.

Juniors and Seniors: Prom ticket sales continue today during lunch recess in Ms. Ubilas’ room.  Only current juniors and seniors may purchase a prom ticket and you must have a completed permission form and payment in order to buy a ticket and sign up for a table.  As a reminder, you may not have any outstanding obligations and lunch loans in order to attend prom.

Are you interested in learning how to sew?  Join Ms. Ubilas and 21st century every Tuesday and Thursday after school to learn some sewing skills and make something fun that you can take home with you.  See Ms. Brown for a permission form.

Kamehameha Day t-shirt design contest deadline is tomorrow. See Mrs. Hoy for details.