March 9, 2018

The Student Credit Union will be closed today.

Students with a current Driver’s permit are welcomed and encourage to attend a Driver Ed skill test at Kealakehe High School parking lots. It will be on Saturday, March 17 between 8:30 and 12. If you are interested, please see Mr. Kealoha by today or no later than Monday at 3 pm. You must be accompanied by a licensed driver that is 21 years or older. Again, the Driver Skill test will be on Saturday, March 17th, from 8:30 to 12 at Kealakehe High School. Please see Mr. Kealoha ASAP.

To all interested Football players: Training sessions will be held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays @ 4pm on the school field. Mahalo.

ALL Seniors planning to attend ANY of the Hawaii Community Colleges , you are required to take the Accuplacer Placement Test. The test is FREE for the first attempt; a second attempt will cost $25.00. If you need to take the test, we will take a group to the Hawaii Community College Testing Center on Thursday, April 26. Get more information and permission form from Ms. Nietfeld if you plan to take this test.

If you have not completed the FAFSA or would like some assistance, see Ms. Nietfeld. This is your chance to qualify for financial aid for college or vocational school. Five students will win a $5.00 Gift Card to Starbucks at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Payment for AP exams is due on or before TODAY. Cost is $44.00 per exam for Regular AP exam fee and $15.00 per exam for students with Free/ Reduced Lunch. Make checks payable to Kohala High School and put “AP exam Fee” in the memo line. If you do not provide payment, an exam will NOT be ordered for you. Thank you!

The Citizenship Awards Citizen-Scholar Award is presented to students who best exemplify citizenship in school and the community; contribute to making our state a better place and have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better. Recipients will receive a monetary scholarship of $1,000 to be used to continue their education. Students return completed application packet to Ms. Tia Ubilas today.

Chyenne Book, Daniel O’Donnell, and Christopher Tinfo still need to turn in the PSY 100 textbook to Ms. Nietfeld.

Kohala High is offering college level classes this Fall: Hawaiian Studies 100, Hospitality and Tourism Industry 100, Biology 100, and Psychology 100.   With successful completion of a course, you will earn 1 High School credit and 3 College credits. If interested see Ms. Nietfeld for additional information.

Attention Seniors: as a reminder, your graduation contracts are due to Ms. Ubilas today.  Please be sure to turn them in.  If you need another copy, please see Ms. Ubilas ASAP.

Application packets are now available in the front office for class officers during the 2018-2019 school year and are due to Ms. Ubilas by Thursday, March 29.

Prom ticket sales continue today during lunch recess in Ms. Ubilas’ room.  Only current juniors and seniors may purchase a prom ticket and you must have a completed permission form and payment in order to buy a ticket and sign up for a table.  As a reminder, you may not have any outstanding obligations and lunch loans in order to attend prom.

Join Ms. Ubilas and 21st century every Tuesday and Thursday after school to learn some sewing skills and make something fun that you can take home with you.  See Ms. Brown for a permission form.

TEACHERS AND STUDENTS:

A national student led effort has designated March 14, 2018, for a School Walkout at 10:00 a.m. for 17 minutes representing the 17 lives lost in the recent tragedy in Parkland, Florida. In support of students’ constitutional rights to peacefully assemble, and also of those not choosing to participate, guidelines have been established for students at Kohala High School. If you choose to participate in the walkout, please report directly to the school field near the announcer stand for the duration of the 17 minutes and report back to class promptly by 10:21 a.m. Students understand that they will be responsible for work missed during this time.

Volleyball hosts Ka’u @ Hisaoka gym. Game @ 6:30pm.

Saturday:      Baseball and Softball travels to Waiakea. Games @ 11am & 1pm. Bus leaves @       7am.

Tennis travels to St. Joseph. Match starts @ 10am.