March 13, 2018

Seniors, many scholarship deadlines have come and gone and others are passing by quickly. Do not miss out on these scholarships: check with Ms. Nietfeld about the application deadlines. The Choy Zane and Leora Wong Zane Scholarship, Foodland Shop for Higher Education, Hawaii Association of Public Accountants, Manuel Family Scholarships, Ho’omau Scholarships, Kohala Lion’s Club, American Association of University Women, Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union, Kohala Hospital Auxiliary Scholarship, Hawaii Saddle Club Scholarship… and more. Don’t miss out!

REMINDER… Students who will be taking the English 100 Course this summer, remember to turn in your Signed copy of the UH Dual Application to Ms. Nietfeld ASAP!

ALL Seniors planning to attend ANY of the Hawaii Community Colleges , you are required to take the Accuplacer Placement Test. The test is FREE for the first attempt, a second attempt will cost $25.00. If you need to take the test, we will take a group to the Hawaii Community College Testing Center on Thursday, April 26. Get more information and Permission form from Ms. Nietfeld if you plan to take this test.

Seniors who have been accepted to UH Hilo: There will be a meeting with Lisa Ann Amaral to discuss your NEXT STEPS, including housing applications, orientation, registration of classes, and questions you have about attending to UH Hilo. The meeting is set for March 15, during Period 7 (1:00-2:00) in Room 19.

Are you interested in serving as a class officer during the 2018-2019 school year?  Application packets are now available in the front office and are due to Ms. Ubilas by Thursday, March 29.

Juniors and Seniors: Prom ticket sales continue today during lunch recess in Ms. Ubilas’ room.  Only current juniors and seniors may purchase a prom ticket and you must have a completed permission form and payment in order to buy a ticket and sign up for a table.  As a reminder, you may not have any outstanding obligations and lunch loans in order to attend prom.

Are you interested in learning how to sew?  Join Ms. Ubilas and 21st century every Tuesday and Thursday after school to learn some sewing skills and make something fun that you can take home with you.  See Ms. Brown for a permission form.

TEACHERS AND STUDENTS:

The Operation Driver Education skill test for this Saturday at Kealakehe High school is cancelled due to lack of student participation. I repeat, The Operation Driver Education skill test for this Saturday at Kealakehe High school is cancelled due to lack of student participation.

A national student led effort that has designated March 14, 2018 as a School Walkout at 10:00 a.m. for 17 minutes representing the 17 lives lost in the recent tragedy in Parkland, Florida. In support of students’ constitutional rights to peacefully assemble and also of those not choosing to participate, guidelines have been established for students at Kohala High School. If you choose to participate in the walkout please report directly to the school field near the announcer stand for the duration of the 17 minutes and report back to class promptly by 10:21 a.m. Students understand that they will be responsible for work missed during this time.