May 16, 2018

Just a friendly reminder for all interested football players that spring training will be continuing through the end of the week at 4:30pm on the school field. Mahalo.

Attn. Juniors: Please turn in your Senior Portrait Sessions form to Ms. Ubilas by Friday.

Seniors, Graduation and your last day at Kohala High School are right around the corner. Please make sure that your lockers are cleaned and emptied out by the end of school on Wednesday, May 23. If your locker is not cleared out by the end of the school day on the 23rd, you will be charged a $5 cleaning fee and will be unable to walk at graduation until that fee is paid.

Seniors: University of Hawaii Community Colleges will offer a time-limited scholarship opportunity for 2018 public high school graduates with dual credit.

UH Community Colleges will provide a $100 scholarship for books and school supplies to 2018 Hawai’i public high school graduates who:

• participated in dual credit programs (enrolled in a Spring 2018 course and/or earned credit previously);
  • enroll at a UH community college campus; and
  • register for Fall 2018 classes by June 15, 2018.

Eligible students will receive the scholarship offer via a letter to their home address and email by mid-May.

Seniors: remember to complete your FINAL TRANSCRIPT REQUEST for the college / university that you plan to attend. The Transcript Requests are available with Ms. Nietfeld or Mr. Hashimoto. All colleges REQUIRE this to be completed.

GRADUATING CLASS of 2018…the Senior Banquet ,to honor students and parents / guardians, will be held in the Kohala High School Cafeteria on Wednesday, May 23rd at 6:00 PM.    Each Senior will be allowed two (2) guests. Reminder also that students and their families will be asked to provide the following meal items for the potluck.

Main Course: Students in Mr. Chen and Ms. Pasco’s Advisory

Rice and Salad: Students in Mr. Kealoha’s Advisory

Dessert: Students in Ms. Tanaka’s Advisory

Ice, Drinks and Paper Goods: Students in Mr. Chertavian’s Advisory

JUNIORS: It is time to register for the College Board SAT Test being administered at Kohala High on August 25, 2018. DEADLINE for registration is July 27. Registration for the SAT exam is to be completed online @ www.sat.org/register If you are Free and Reduced Lunch, check with Ms. Nietfeld regarding a SAT test FEE WAIVER.

Attention Bus Riders: If you are a registered bus rider and you plan to ride the bus NEXT year, please see Aunty Maile for your new handbook and application. The Hawaii State Department of Education strongly encourages current bus riders to pre-register as early as possible by submitting a completed bus pass application form to the school office before Thursday,May 31, 2018.

STUDENTS AND TEACHERS:

2018 Yearbook sales continues today at Room 34 during morning recess and lunchtime and just brunch recess on Wednesdays. The cost is $60 cash only and no denomination bill larger than $20. The book is 100 pages 8 more than last year!

Students who purchased presale book may pick up at the makai side door of room 34. When you have picked up or purchased a book be sure you check it carefully before you write in it. Keep track of your own book…lost or missing books will not be replaced. Mahalo for you support!

Kohala High School would like to thank Mrs. Jennifer Marlowe, our school Behavioral Health Specialist, for all of her hard work supporting students and staff over the last 13 years. At the end of the month Mrs. Marlowe will be leaving the 50th state to move to Florida with her husband. She has been an institution here at Kohala High and has helped so many students build healthy relationships, resilience and other critical skills they need to become productive young adults. Her last day on campus is Friday, May 18. Thank you for your love and dedication to our keiki Mrs. Marlowe. YOU WILL BE MISSED!

“LEND ME YOUR EAR, AND I’LL SING YOU A SONG……….with a little help from my FRIENDS! Kohala High school Music Students will be presenting a concert of mostly pop music tomorrow at 6:30 pm at the HUB barn in downtown Hawi. Vocal students will be singing solos by Adele, Imagine Dragons, Eric Clapton, Joy Vance, Beatles, and others. Admission to the concert is free.

Congratulations to Seniors Chyenne Book, Symphony Kauanoe, Johnette Emeliano and Amber Sumic, for being the first in our school and community to graduate with an Academic Subject Certificate in Hawai`i Lifestyle (Hawaiian Studies program) from Palamanui Community College. They completed their first journey of college by earning 12 credits, while in high school and participating in the graduation ceremony this past Saturday at the college campus in Kona. This was made possible through our Early College-Dual credit program here at Kohala High. We are proud of their early accomplishment as they continue to “holomua,” move forward, into the future. “I mua a loa`a ka lei o ka lanakila!”

Our heart felt thank you to the following Leo club members and future members who helped out at our Lion’s Mother’s Day breakfast: Miranda Canniff, Kaya Lee Galan, Angelique Kokal, Jashel Jose, Amber Sumic, and Mikaila Pasco. We really appreciate your effort and help especially in the dining room and as food runners. We could not have been more successful without your kokua and support. Mahalo Nui Loa!

Attention Leo club members: If you are interested in being a Leo club officers next school year, please see Mr. Kealoha for more information and application. We will be electing a President, vice-president, treasurer, and secretary for the new school year.

Attention Driver’s Ed students. Make up for Tuesday’s cancelled Driver’s Ed class will be next week Friday.   You also must attend both Monday and Thursday afternoon classes next week. Any absences may result in you being removed from the Driver’s Ed program.

Attention Leo Club members. Our end of the year Leo celebration has been changed to the 22nd of May. The 17th was cancelled due to AP testing in the library.

Seniors…….6 school days til    Graduation!!

Underclassmen…………….11 school days til summer!!

Teachers………..12 work days til summer!!

Well all right!!!!!