Was the Ted Cruz Protest Called For?

Last Sunday night, Ted Cruz was expecting to have a meal with his wife in Washington DC at a restaurant called Fiola, but when they arrived they were met by a crowd of protesters demanding answers on Cruz’s vote and standpoint on Brett Kavanaugh. Cruz had voiced his support of Kavanaugh in July, but following the sexual assault allegations made against him Cruz stated:

“These allegations are serious and deserve to be treated with respect. Professor Ford should have a full opportunity to tell her story before the Judiciary Committee, and Judge Kavanaugh should have a full opportunity to defend himself. That hearing should be sooner, rather than later, so the committee can make the best assessment possible of the allegations.”

Regardless of this neutral statement, Cruz was still met with vicious shouts and gestures from these protestors. The fact is, Cruz is not Kavanaugh. Cruz is not the one being accused of these crimes. However, if Kavanaugh does prove guilty of this crime and Cruz continues to support him, THAT is an indicator of bad character and leadership on Ted Cruz’s part. But as of now, what we have seen is a respectable man corralled into a booth along with his wife, while being yelled at by a crowd of protestors.

“We believe survivors!” Was being chanted by the group the entire time; here is the rest of the dialogue from the scene:

Protestor: “Hiiii, I’d love to talk to you about Brett Kavanaugh tonight… I’d love to know what your vote is going to be tonight. I know that you’re very close friends with Mr. Kavanaugh. Do you believe in survivors sir?…Senator, we have the right to know what your position is on Brett Kavanaugh.”

Cruz: “God bless you ma’am.”

Protestor: “God bless you, as well. I am a survivor of sexual assault, ma’am. I believe all survivors. There are now three people who have come forward and said that Brett Kavanaugh has attacked them. Would you like to talk to him about that?”

As it turns out, Cruz is actually one of the 21 members of the Judiciary Committee who will question Kavanaugh today when he defends himself against his accusers.

Mr. and Mrs. Cruz then stood up to leave, but had to push through the crowd just to find the nearest exit. “Please, let my wife through.” Cruz said over the noise of the crowd. The crowd was still pressing when they finally reached the door and left. The protestors were then asked to leave by a restaurant staff member.

The drawing question to me is, should the protestors have behaved the way they did? Without forward moving protest and people who speak up for what is right we will not see the changes we want to see in our country, BUT I feel that the group of protestors’ approach was not appropriate. When you are protesting something, you become a face and an example for that cause.

As the Cruzes left, one protestor even yelled “Beto is way hotter than you!” This wasn’t exactly a well formulated argument for their cause. Beto himself, who Ted Cruz is running against for reelection, had something to say after the spectacle.

Beto tweeted “Not right that Senator Cruz and his wife Heidi were surrounded and forced to leave a restaurant last night because of protesters. The Cruz family should be treated with respect.”

Senator Cruz and his wife were targeted in a public place and forced to leave without being able to have dinner together. I write this article not to take sides, but to make a statement on peaceful and dignified protest. This protest was not peaceful or dignified, and there wasn’t a lot of respect involved. If a protest and a cause wants to be taken seriously, they need to behave a certain way. Otherwise, they will be viewed as inappropriate and not worth listening to. Sadly, their protest turned out the way it did. These brave people were fighting for a very serious and important cause, it was just delivered badly.