Student Credit Union kept busy over Winter Break

Over Winter Break, members of the Kohala High School Student Credit Union kept busy by attending Financial Literacy workshops and christmas caroling at Kohala Hospital. Lots of new members as well as previously involved members came out for both events, providing a bonding for the entire branch of the credit union.

The annual Financial Literacy workshops are held every winter break an taught by branch manager Lakme Nishie, who is also involved in Student Credit Union relations. The workshops are available to all Kohala SCU members and every year, the topics of the 3 workshops offered differentiate. This year’s topics were car loans, student loans and credit. The workshops provided each attendee with a binder with examples of loans and worksheets explaining each of the topics. As usual, the workshops which were held on December 20, 21 and 27, ended with a lunch supplied by the ladies of the main branch. All of the workshop participants will be acknowledged and receive a prize at the end of year academic assembly.

Also, on December 23rd, a handful of Credit Union members from both the student and main branch went Christmas Caroling at Kohala Hospital. The patients of the hospital, mostly elderly senior citizens, enjoyed hearing the youth sing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, We Wish You A Merry Christmas, Silver Bells and Winter Wonderland. The sleigh bells and voices carried throughout the hospital prompting the patients to start clapping and singing along. Overall, the Financial Literacy classes and Christmas Caroling were a great success for the Student Credit Union.