Starting Artists: Start Cheap!

Inexpensive art supplies never hurts as a beginner’s tool.

Aliyah Page, Reporter

Many beginner artists tend to believe that they need expensive pens, markers, and pencils to create amazing looking art and usually those expensive tools go to waste rather than in good use. The truth is, it’s never bad to start cheap as an artist. Take it from me, a fellow artist who’s started cheap and slowly made my way up in getting better tools.

In the beginning, I’ve started with the common tools of Crayola Markers, colored pencils and crayons. I’ve even used just a regular #2 pencil and random pieces of printer or lined paper. It was all I could really get my hands on because it was my basic school supplies back in elementary school. So working with those tools was both a blessing since I’d early on get an idea of how to the things I know today.

Middle school was when it started getting better. I transitioned from a regular wooden pencil to mechanical pencils. From crayola markers I went to Sharpie markers, as I’ve grown to prefer using those for their bright colors- plus alcohol based markers are quite better than water based markers in my opinion. I’ve even went to having my very own sketchbook to keep all my work in.

Now today, I still use Sharpies and regular sketchbooks to make art. However I use a GraphGear 1000 mechanical pencil instead of regular cheap mechanical pencils you find in the school supply section in Walmart, and for inking drawings a three marker set of Micron pens are a common use of mine.

Overtime my use of tools has grown and upgraded and it will still do that as time progresses. For young beginner artists it’s best to use the available supplies as an advantage to improve and still create beautiful art with your given skills. Don’t use “I can only get cheap art supplies” as an excuse to not create art, because it’s still possible even with the common inexpensive supplies.

Aliyah Page, Journalist

Aloha, my name is Aliyah Page, currently a Senior of Kohala High School. Despite my camera-shy personality, writing has been a small portion of me that...