Bringing in the New Year: New Year’s Resolution

Gillian Ward, Reporter

A resolution is “a firm decision to do or not to do something”. Let’s face it, rarely  does a New Year’s Resolution get carried out, but why is that? We have all felt that intense determination to do something positive in our lives, and when it’s New Years most of us make a “firm decision”, so why are we always slipping up? I asked some fellow students what they thought to get a perspective and to hopefully give some motivating reasons and tips.

Joselynn M., a senior, said that the reason people never achieve their New Year’s goals is because “…they get over it, but they could achieve them by sticking to them.”

Kamaile G. said that “…peoples’ goals are too unrealistic or broad. If they want to achieve their goals they shouldn’t rely on having their goals only over the New Year, and they might try narrowing it down and spacing their goals (a timeline).”

Aliyah P. thinks that “Deep down they aren’t really committed; they need to make achievable goals.”

Arwen P. says that “People don’t take them seriously…People should plan something they are actually going to put effort into.”

Colleen Pasco said that “People are not persistent enough in their goals, and they are probably not committed to that  goal to begin with.” When I asked her what she thought people should do to achieve their goals she said “They need to set a realistic goal, one they truly want to achieve and know the effort that goes into it.”

I think to achieve New Year’s resolutions you can’t always go cold turkey, and they need to be paced and realistic. I believe the key to achieving a goal is knowing why you are doing it and why you want it, and use that as motivation. If you want to lose weight and eat better ask yourself why; is it for looks or to be healthier? If you want to save money ask yourself why; is it so that one day you can buy your own house?

Whatever it is, be realistic and stay motivated. Also try not to burn yourself out the first week of January. 😉

Gillian Ward, Reporter

Hello there! My name is Gillian Ward. I am a Kohala High School senior. Here are some facts about me.
My favorite activity is going to the beach.
My...