Opinion: Students Disrespect Substitute Teachers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jenna Nickl

Students Andrew Trump, Jory Ayoso-Fernandez and Daryl Diaz and substitute Ms. Leialoha acted out how students disrespect subs in class.

Andrew Trump, Assistant Editor

In the past four years of high school I have been in many classrooms with different substitute teachers and saw some surprising realities. Substitute teachers have been treated with far less respect than the regular teachers. Many students feel they can take advantage of a sub and do what they want. There are a couple of reasons why this happens.

An anonymous student stated, “When I hear that there is a sub, I feel like I can have a free day to relax.” This seems to be the theme from quite a few students, but not all. An anonymous substitute teacher said, “It’s not all the students acting up. Its only a select few that are disruptive.”

Substitute teacher Ms. Leialoha said “It’s about mutual respect. I remember when I was in high school I didn’t want to listen to the sub because I felt they just came in and ruled us for the day.” It can be hard for some students to get along with adults they don’t really know, but that should not be an excuse.

Students also don’t listen to subs because of the work the teacher provides.  A different anonymous substitute said, “The teachers don’t necessarily trust the sub with teaching. They end up either not giving enough work or giving “busy” work for the students. The kids end up losing interest and the classroom gets out of control.”

The reason why substitute teachers are not being treated with the same respect matters little. The student’s actions have been inexcusable in the past and things need to change. It is not that hard to sit in a classroom for 50 minutes and get work done without being disruptive.

Andrew Trump, Assitant Editor

Andrew is a Graduate of Kohala High and a second year journalism student. He was top of his class and also the senior class vice president. He was not...

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Opinion: Students Disrespect Substitute Teachers”

1. Paige on September 15th, 2015 2:44 am

Student shouldn’t do that to teachers I am not won of those students but I have seen it before I think it is just sick how kids do that to subs I had a sub yesterday and many kids were being disrespectful and I just ignored it and went on with my work but some times I think should I say something but then I think well I don’t want to cause more drama with this.

2. Paige on September 15th, 2015 2:45 am

So that is how I feel

3. Mrs. Sub on November 9th, 2015 12:25 pm

Thank you, Paige. I feel badly for students like you who just want to go to school and do the right thing, whether it’s for your regular teacher, or for your substitute teacher. It’s probably a little bit nerve-wracking for you that some of your classmates act up with a substitute. It’s good that you don’t say anything–indeed, you don’t want to involve yourself in the drama. It’s okay for you not to get involved in the ‘drama’ and make it harder on yourself. We see you. Just doing what you’re doing (even if it doesn’t feel like much) makes our day when not much of anything else does. We go home and think about that one Paige kid, and smile. You sound like a great kid. 🙂

4. Señor cole on October 9th, 2018 7:46 pm

Buen I totally disagree. Nothing is more annoying to me as a substitute teacher than students who behave but don’t do ANYTHING at all to control the classroom environment. Those students are at least negligent and at worse complying and siding with the trouble makers. As a student you are a part of the clsssroom culture. You have a say in how others behave. For instance if you are in a library and someone is talking loudly on their phone or listening to rock and heavy metal music blasting! You are well within your rights to tell them to shut up, or complain by going to a librarian. If you don’t do anything at all, that person may continue being disrespectful to your learning endeavors at the library. The classroom like the library is a place for learning. If people are being loud and obnoxious you have a right to straighten them out or to least to try. Students that don’t try and even attempt to correct the misbehavior of others are cowards, and they are siding with the troublemakers. Often times they laugh and encourage the behavior.

5. Heidi on November 16th, 2018 3:03 pm

I am a subtitle teacher. It’s divistating how students act in inner city public schools! They swear at each other and at the subtitle. They use their cell phones/FaceTime/make phone call one speaker. I report this behavior to the admission, unfortunately they don’t do anything about it. Students are not learning in these kind of schools.
    There is few nice students who want to learn, but the majority are not interested in school. It’s sad

6. George on December 14th, 2018 5:50 am

I totally disagree with your last sentence. The reason why matter wholly, for example, if a teacher’s threats amount to “stop it. Stop it. Stop it.” And they never do anything then it is down to the substitute teacher, because the students won’t care because you are not making the subject seem important. What’s worse is when a substitue teacher knows far less than the students on a particular subjects and demonstrates it clearly, for example if a substitute of a history teacher we’re to get the year that it ended wrong, because this shows a lack of preparation and dedication from the substitute teacher.

Why should the students care if the substitute teacher doesn’t enough to punish them or if the teacher has no idea what they are talking about?