Opinion: Students Disrespect Substitute Teachers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jenna Nickl

Students Andrew Trump, Jory Ayoso-Fernandez and Daryl Diaz and substitute Ms. Leialoha acted out how students disrespect subs in class.

Andrew Trump, Assistant Editor

In the past four years of high school I have been in many classrooms with different substitute teachers and saw some surprising realities. Substitute teachers have been treated with far less respect than the regular teachers. Many students feel they can take advantage of a sub and do what they want. There are a couple of reasons why this happens.

An anonymous student stated, “When I hear that there is a sub, I feel like I can have a free day to relax.” This seems to be the theme from quite a few students, but not all. An anonymous substitute teacher said, “It’s not all the students acting up. Its only a select few that are disruptive.”

Substitute teacher Ms. Leialoha said “It’s about mutual respect. I remember when I was in high school I didn’t want to listen to the sub because I felt they just came in and ruled us for the day.” It can be hard for some students to get along with adults they don’t really know, but that should not be an excuse.

Students also don’t listen to subs because of the work the teacher provides.  A different anonymous substitute said, “The teachers don’t necessarily trust the sub with teaching. They end up either not giving enough work or giving “busy” work for the students. The kids end up losing interest and the classroom gets out of control.”

The reason why substitute teachers are not being treated with the same respect matters little. The student’s actions have been inexcusable in the past and things need to change. It is not that hard to sit in a classroom for 50 minutes and get work done without being disruptive.