Students should have a say in what they feel

Kailee Paro, Reporter

Students should have a right to say what feels right and wrong for them.  For example, I respect the school guidelines when it comes to electronics, I understand what certain teachers expect once I walk into their classroom.  One day, I had my phone during recess, the bell rang so I walked to my class.  Once I walked into the classroom, I was turning my phone off so that I can put it in my bag, and the teacher told me “you should know the school rules by now, phones should be gone once you walk into the class”, and out of respect, I told my teacher “I was putting it in my bag. I wasn’t on it; I was just turning it off.” I looked around and many other students in the class still had their phones out, as if it was okay for them to have it. So I said, “Other students also have their phones out, why is it a problem with me?” and the teacher just said, “Don’t talk back! You should already know the school rules! You should be saying thank you for not taking your phone away instead of talking back to me.”

I am never the type of student to disrespect other teachers. I said it in a mature mannerly way expressing my voice to what I thought was very shame and unfair.  I know the rules and I understand them, but for that teacher to specifically point me out in front of other students that still were playing on their phone, is just wrong and embarrassing.  If I am going to get yelled at for “talking back,” which I was speaking very politely, I think that I should be able to finish my statement without feeling guilty about it.