Boys Basketball Preparing for Playoffs

Andrew Trump, Assistant Editor

The Kohala High boys basketball team finished their regular season last Thursday losing in a close one against  Konawaena. The talented Wildcats played with a lot of emotion on Senior night en route to a 48-45 victory. However the Cowboys were happy with how they played as it was their last tune up game before entering the playoffs. Going into Thursday the Cowboys had already clinched the #2 seed from the westside and knew they would be hosting Ka’u in the first round of the BIIF Division II playoffs.

The Cowboys had a chance to clinch the #1 westside seed with a win over HPA on Jan. 27, but after leading nearly the entire game HPA slipped by to win 52-47. The #1 seed earns a first round bye in the playoffs, guaranteeing them a spot in Friday’s semifinals at the Hilo Civic. Senior Chris Roxburgh said, “We were bummed that we didn’t get the #1 seed because we had a good chance, but it will be fun to play one last game in Kohala.” The Cowboys have been practicing hard, working to fix some mistakes and getting well conditioned before the playoffs.

Senior Andrew Trump said, “I think we have a good shot at making a run in the playoffs. All six of the Division II teams can beat each other on any given night, so we’re just hoping to string together a couple good games.”

Although Kohala has not played Ka’u yet this season, they did see them play in a Kauai preseason tournament. The Cowboys were the tournament champions in Kauai, winning all 3 of their games. Ka’u is known for playing scrappy and definitely won’t go down without a fight. The winner of Wednesday’s game goes onto the semifinals in Hilo to face Pahoa, the #1 eastside seed. The Cowboys have been eliminated in the playoffs by Pahoa the last two years, but are hoping for a shot to beat them.

There is a slight increase in admission prices for the playoffs. They are as follows:

Adults: $6.00

High school students with no activity ticket: $6.00

High school students with activity ticket: $3.00

Grades 1-8: $2.00

Senior Citizens: $3.00