Opening Night Of Murder Mystery Play “The Hollow” Stirs Excitement In Teen Cast

Back to Article
Back to Article

Daryl Jim Diaz

Daryl Jim Diaz

Daryl Jim Diaz

Cast member Daryl Jim Diaz excited for the show

Daryl Diaz

As the clock is ticking, “The Hollow” cast and crew are getting prepared to present their anticipated play this weekend. The book by Agatha Christie, a popular murder mystery novelist, has been transformed into a play and will be debuted at Parker School Theater stage opening night on February 24, 2012, presented by Waimea Community Theater.  Directed by Felicity Johnson, the teenage cast members play roles of adults and are excited about opening night this Friday.

Other than the exciting fact that these teens are playing roles as adults, they are also excited for other reasons. Honokaa High School junior Emma Marie Reddekopp, playing the role of a housemaid named Dorris, has been in plays before and excited to get back to acting on stage again. She stated, “I enjoy performing and the adrenaline rush I get before I perform. It’s one of the first plays that I can use for college essays and resumes.” Reddekopp also thinks the characters are very well thought out, “Each one of them has good character development and the play really looks into the mind of people.” She has enjoyed participating and with preparing this play. “This whole experience has been highly serendipitous.”
Honokaa High School senior Jacy Anderson, plays the role of cousin Edward Angkatell, looks foreword to getting into character and being someone else in the performance. “It’s like living another life,” he says. Through out this experience he has learned  a lot about his co-stars and also about himself. Anderson said, “It’s like learning about the psychology of it all, you learn about how people think in certain situations. This experience and performing in general is very therapeutic, it allows me to go off and do something else where I forget about my life and focus on the characters in the story at hand.”
Kohala High’s sophomore Raina Thering, who plays the role of cousin Midge Harvey, is excited about seeing her friends come and support her in the performance. She’s enjoyed “The Hollow”experience and being a part of the production. “The set is amazing, as well as the whole cast and crew!”
All three high school students encourage everyone to come and watch this murder mystery. They say the actors and actresses are so engaging making everyone involved in with figuring out who the murderer is. They also say the setting looks real. Anderson concluded, “Whether you are looking at the stage or on the stage, it feels like you are there in the 1950’s in London, England.”
The play will be presented on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from Feb. 24 through March 4. Friday and Saturday shows begin at 7:30 p.m., while curtain time for the Sunday matinees is 3 p.m. Ticket prices will be $14 for adults, $12 for seniors and students and $10 for children. Tickets will be available with an advance sale discount Monday from the theater’s ticket outlets, Waimea General Store and Without Boundaries in Waimea, and at Suite Possibilities in Kailua-Kona.
Note from the editor: Ka Leo Na Opio’s own reporter and author of this article, Daryl Jim Diaz, will also be acting as a detective in this play.
More information is available at waimeacommunitytheatre.org.
Daryl Diaz, Reporter

Daryl is a Graduate of Kohala High. He enjoys musical theater and tennis. In his first year of reporting, Daryl made a great impact on the team and was...