New “Bully” film raises awareness in schools and communities nationwide

Did you know that one in three American school children in grades sixth through tenth are affected by bullying? Those who are bullied repeatedly experience extreme fear such as fear of school, public bathrooms, and/or bus rides. According to the National Education Association News Release, the nation’s educators are committing to bully-free schools through campaigns joining with the film “Bully.”

National Education Association (NEA) President Dennis Van Roekel thinks schools should be safe havens for students. He believes school is a place where they can grow, learn, and realize, their full potential. In a recent NEA press release, Van Roekel says, “Unfortunately, Lee Hirsch’s, film ‘Bully’ has shown us that much more needs to be done to create safe and protected earning environments for children. There’s no room for inappropriate behavior in our schools and it’s time we showed bullying the door.”

Over 400 education leaders in Washington, D.C. promote “Bully,” which releases nationwide today, April 13. In addition to help these students, NEA has launched the “NEA’s Bully Free: It Starts With Me” campaign, which connects bullied students with a caring adult who will listen carefully and does his/her best to help the bullied student take action to stop bullying. Also, they have launched a nationwide public service announcement to educate and raise awareness of bulling in communities across the country.

Van Roekel says that NEA is grateful for the film which helps tackle the issue of bullying because it remains an issue that does not receive the attention it deserves in many schools and communities. ” We are calling our members, community partners and caring adults to help us tackle this critical issue. One caring adult can make a difference.”

Information on the “Bully Free: It Starts With Me” campaign and additional resources on how to combat bullying can be found at www.nea.org/bullyfree .

The film “Bully opens in theaters nationwide on today. Be sure to check it out.  If you are a victim of bullying, talk to an adult on campus.