Is The Electoral College Fair?

Rachel Vujovich, Reporter

With the 2012 election just around the corner, many Americans have the fleeting thought “Is the election process fair?”  I say fleeting because, frankly, I don’t believe that the citizens of this country would make any attempt to do something about it even if they did believe that it was unfair.The thought exits their mind almost before they even realize that it was there at all.

Our current voting process is something called “The Electoral College”.  This is a process that the founding fathers established in the Constitution as a compromise between election of the President by a vote in Congress and election of the President by a popular vote of American citizens.

Many people believe this “college” to be unfair because they feel that the government is only making it seem like citizens have a say in our elected officials when really, the electors truly have final say.
Electors are the people that ordinary citizens are voting for on Election Day, not the president.  Electors are members of the U.S. Electoral College; they are the voters of the President.

So we’re really voting for the people who are going to be voting for our president?

Like everything in this world, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and some of those people approve of the Electoral College.  A major pro for this voting system is that it truly does represent our country as a whole.  It also makes it easier to have a recount of the electoral vote as opposed to a nation-wide recount of everyone’s popular vote if fraud was to ever pose a problem again such as in the Presidential Election of 2000 when it was Bush VS Gore.

Although I am against the Electoral College as I find it unfair, it does have its many pros and cons, and whether or not I complain about it, it’s the process that our country uses so for the time being, it’s what we must stick with.

And just a thought: Students, the majority of us will be voting in the next presidential election, so why not understand it now so we’re not completely clueless by the time 2016 rolls around?