Veterans Day: Honoring Those Who Served

Rachel Vujovich, Reporter

In the United States, Veterans Day falls annually on the eleventh of November.  On this day, ninety-four years ago, armistice was signed, ending World War I hostilities between Germany and the Allied nations.

The day of observance for this years’ Veterans Day lands on the twelfth, giving Kohala High School a day off.   Veterans Day is not to be confused with Memorial Day as the latter is honoring those who have died in service.  The former day is intended to honor and thank all military personnel who served the United States in all wars, particularly living veterans.

Armistice is a ceasefire, which is often agreed to in order to negotiate peace between nations or powers.  On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, this armistice was drawn into effect between Germany and the Allied nations, marking the end of World War I.  One year later, on November 11th 1919, Armistice Day was commemorated for the first time with President Wilson proclaiming “This day should be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude of the victory.”

As Veterans Day draws near, please keep those who fought for our country in mind and take a brief silence of respect and a suspension of action when our clocks strike eleven.