Swim Team Ready to Make a Splash at BIIF’s

Kassie Kometani, Reporter

On Friday Febuary 1st, Kohala High’s swim team will travel to Kea’au for the prelim races of the Big Island Interscholastic Federation swimming championships. The five swimmers will be competing in their two best events. The top 16 swimmers from each prelim event will make finals for the next day. Some of the events being swum at the Kamehemeha Nae’ole Pool include the 50yd freestyle, 100yd butterfly, 100yd breaststroke, and 100yd backstroke.

Leading up to this weekend the swimmers have been training hard everyday. Freshmen swimmer Yuki Zbytovsky stated “With all the hard work we’ve been putting into practice there is a lot of pressure on us to perform well at this meet.” Teams compete for points at the championships. Points are awarded to the top 8 swimmers for every event with 9 points being awarded to first place, 8 points to second place, and so on. Relay teams earn double points, but unfortunately Kohala does not have enough swimmers to make a relay team. Head Coach Jeffrey Coakley hopes to have Kohala make the top 8 in team standings.

The swim team has had a successful season leading up to the championships so it is hopeful that the swimmers will compete well. The progress all of the swimmers have made is in itself a great accomplishment. We wish the Kohala swimmers the best of luck for the next two days!