Kohala Relay For Life Recap

Kohala High School’s Class of 2015 won 3rd place for walking laps last Saturday at the 2013 Relay for LIfe

Kassie Kometani, Editor

This year marked the 100th Anniversary of the American Cancer Society. To top that off this year’s Kohala Relay For Life raised over $40,000 dollars. The event was a huge success, surpassing their goal of $30,000. A total of 14 teams participated with 210 participants. The rainy weather never deterred teams from walking their laps all night. The atmosphere was kept up-beat with a taiko drumming show and a performance by the popular band Positive Motion.

As always, the traditional lumaniaria service of lighting the luminaria bags was touching to everyone. The illuminated bags lining the walking track reminded all the participants of why they were there. Each bag was dedicated to a family member or friend who is fighting, has survived, or has perished from cancer. Cancer remains the second most common death in America. All the money raised at Kohalaʻs Relay For Life will go towards the American Cancer Societyʻs fight for a cure.

Kohala High students put on a good showing at the event with the Class of 2015 earning 3rd place for the most laps walked. Class of 2014 also won the Smartest Team Award for finishing the scavenger hunt in first place. These high school students contributed to the great success of this yearʻs Relay For Life.