A Fall Full of Tests

Kassie Kometani, Editor

Along with the start of the school year, fall brings a time that most seniors dread: college entrance exams. College entrance exams refer to any standardized test that student have to take to become eligible to apply to a post-secondary institution. The SAT, which stands for Scholastic Aptitude Test, is one of the more common exams that juniors and seniors will be taking this fall. Another well known exam is the ACT, or American College Test. These tests are critical for a college-bound senior. Most universities will only accept students who have taken the ACT and SAT. Some universities will only accept students who have scored proficiently on the test as well. For this reason, students study for months in advance to receive the best score possible.

Senior Kaunoe Gusman says “‘I’m kinda stressed, but I took the SAT last year as a junior so I know what to expect.”

Senior Mohala Kaholoa’a-Kumukoa says “I thought it was pretty hard when I took the ACT last year, but I’ve been studying so I’m hoping this year will be better.”

Sophomores also have an option to prepare for the SAT. A pre-test, or PSAT, will be administered on Wednesday October 16, 2013 at Kohala High School from 8-11:30 am. It gives students a preview of what the real SAT will be like by testing them in small sections of reading and math. The exam is free for all 10th graders at Kohala High so students are highly encouraged to take it their sophomore year.

Juniors and seniors will be able to take the ACT at Kohala High on October 26, 2013. The registration deadline is September 27. The first upcoming SAT will be administered at HPA on October 5. Good luck to all students taking the tests!