Spotlight- V.P. Mr. Brian Simone

Mr. Brian Simone

Mr. Brian Simone

Kassie Kometani, Editor

Kohala High welcomes another fresh face this school year, the new Vice Principal Mr. Brian Simone. He resides in Waimea with his wife and three children. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends. One day he hopes to visit the South Pacific Islands.

When asked about how he likes Kohala High, he said “It’s very different in terms of size, programs, student offerings, and curricular activities. It’s been a bit of a challenge to remember all the new names and faces but hopefully by the second semester I’ll be able to put a name to face.”

Mr. Simone is excited about the programs and activities offered at Kohala High School. He believes these opportunities are credited to a great staff. He says that working with Principal Jeanette Snelling is very fast-paced. There are many initiatives to deal with, such as all the various tests students are expected to take. These tests are very different for Mr. Simone so it is something he is adjusting to.

After being asked about what he hopes to achieve at Kohala High, Mr. Simone had to pause a bit.

“I don’t know where to start, it’s such a long list!” He is hoping to gain a better understanding of the student’s perspectives and address their various challenges. Mr. Simone is striving to make a better institution that is student centered with improved academics. He also wants to create a better social and physical surrounding for students.

“These students are 21st century learners. It is important for them to be ahead with technology.”

Kohala High School welcomes Mr. Simone in his first year as the Vice Principal.