Relay for Life a success for community

The Senior Class tent

CJ Yamamoto

This year’s Relay for Life has come and gone in the blink of an eye but as always, has provided its share of memories. For the first time in a long time, Kohala High School represented 3 teams in this annual fight against cancer. Each team member individually fundraised at least $100 as well as helping organize the team fundraiser at the event. The Senior Class of 2012 sold caramel apples, the Junior Class of 2013 sold musubis and hot dogs and the Sophomore Class of 2014 raised money through “fishing” for goodie bags. Together the three high school teams raised over $2,000.

The night was full of emotions ranging from excitement to sorrow to competitive. All of the activities kept the participants up from 6:00 at night to 6:00 in the morning. Zumba, Bon Dance, and “Scrabble” lap are just a handful of activities that occurred throughout the event. Throughout the night, there were ceremonies to honor the survivors and those who were lost to the many forms of cancer, including the luminaria and the “Celebrate, Remember, Fight Back” ceremonies. At the end of the event, prizes were awarded to the teams with the best campsite decorations, best costume, most laps, individual laps, individual fundraising and team fundraising. Of all the awards, the Sophomore class took home 3rd place for team laps, the Seniors won 1st for team laps and best costumes. Overall, the night was fun, memorable and gave back for a good cause.