Kohala Sports Teams Eager to Compete

Kohala Sports Teams Eager to Compete

Andrew Trump, Assistant Editor

Cowboys and Cowgirls around campus are looking forward to kicking off the fall sports season with a bang. The Football, Girls Volleyball, and Cross Country teams have started practicing in preparation for the season. There is an excitement circling the campus in anticipation for the beginning of competition.

The Girls Volleyball team under second year coach Braddah Keyes is striving for a berth at states this season. Coach Keyes has the team focused on getting in shape right now. They only lost four seniors from last year, and have a lot of experienced players that will help them get closer to their goals. Senior outside hitter Casey Utemei said, “The team is looking good. All the girls are working hard at tryouts and I think our scrappy defense will help us a lot this year.”

Captain of the football team Dakota Tolentino is ecstatic about the season. “We can’t wait to play our first game against defending BIIF champs Kamehemeha.” The team is under new head coach Carlos Adams and looks promising. Many of the kids showed up for weight lifting during the summer and it should really benefit the team. They currently have 33 players on the field practicing, many of whom are new faces.

The Cross Country team coached by Mr. Kometani and Ms. Nietfeld has good experience. Many of the returning players ran hard during the summer to prepare for the upcoming season. A few new runners will help round out both the girls and boys teams. They are using a strict schedule by alternating hard and easy practices to build stamina, speed, and strength.