Congratulations Josiah and Yuki!

From right to left: Coach Melody Nietfeld, Yuki Zbytovsky, Coach John Kometani, Josiah Adams

Kassie Kometani, Editor

“Iʻm pretty sure I beat ʻem”, was the thought running through Josiah Adamsʻ head as he crossed the finish line of the Hawaii High School Athletic Association cross country state championships.

Adams was one of two runners who represented Kohala High School at the state meet at Kauai on October 25. Sophomore Yuki Zbytovsky also ran and finished in 91st  place as well as setting a personal record for herself. Adams, who is a junior, ran an outstanding time and came in 13th place. He was recognized for being a runner in the top 20 and was almost the top runner from the Big Island. He lost to the number one runner from the Big Island, Ian MacQuate, by only 0.5 of a second. It was a full out sprint at the end and Adams was able to pass many runners. Although he did not beat MacQuate, Adams still beat a number of other runners that he had lost to during the regular BIIF season.

Both runners were accompanied by their coaches John Kometani and Melody Nietfeld. They were immensely proud of their runners as they were place so well out of 160 boys and 160 girls runners from across the state. Both coaches were also impressed by the amount of time Adams and Zbytovksy dropped during the race.

Kohala High applauds Adams and Zbytovsky’s accomplishments as well as putting Kohala on the map for cross country! Both runners look forward to next year’s season and are planning to give it their all.

“I am going to win BIIF’s next year”, concludes a very determined Adams.