Got Dirt?

Got+Dirt%3F

Upper Left & Lower Left: Places that have potential safety hazards. Right: Dirt filled in drop offs.

Isabel Steinhoff, Reporter

If you have been on our campus within this past month, you probably noticed there have been huge piles of dirt around campus. It got the students and teachers thinking, “What’s with all dirt piles?”. Vice principal Mr. Simone said that the school had recently been evaluated and it was found that we had a few health and safety violations. After that evaluation, he wanted to fix those violations as soon as possible.

A few of the health and safety problems that were exposed were tree roots, pipes, unseen holes in the ground, and cement drops. Mildew, mold spots, and worn-down pillars were also known factors of health and safety problems. Many people don’t usually take notice of those problems when they walk around campus daily.  Students aren’t aware of the potential tripping and falling hazards and they only take notice when they’re the ones that get hurt. This is also very dangerous for the physically disabled students. The major areas that needed to be fixed as soon as possible were the two feet deep holes in the ground going unnoticed and the one foot cement drop off hallways and sidewalks.  The holes in the ground weren’t being seen because of grass covering up the hole. Those holes had already caused an accident with a student falling in one. The cement drops were caused by years of dirt eroding  from underneath.

The first action Mr. Simone took was to fill the holes and the level the ground so that the ground will eventually be flush to the cement. This was to lessen the chances of someone seriously hurting themselves. The reason he chose to use dirt instead of a different way was because railings would be the other option and that costs money that the school doesn’t have.

Mr. Simone said that he trying to improve the physical appearance and the school in general because there has been research basically saying the quality and appearance of a school impacts the student’s health and learning. In a report done by McGraw-Hill Research Foundation, it stated that when classrooms are clean, healthy and daylit, students will be more comfortable, less prone to illness and more focused on studies.

Hopefully, these minor changes around the school will make the difference it intended to.

Dirt Pictures 2

Upper Picture: Unseen holes. Lower Picture: Exposed tree roots.