Canned Food Drive Success

Kassie Kometani, Editor

Thanksgiving is a time of year to enjoy the company of friends and family, as well as enjoying delicious food. Unfortunately for some families scrounging up money for a Thanksgiving meal can be difficult. That is why the Sacred Hearts Catholic church collects canned foods to help those in need. This year Kohala High’s Student Credit Union wanted to provide help. Starting in early November the SCU put out boxes in the Computer Room at school as well at the Kohala Credit Union branch. The community showed great support by bringing in canned goods, bags of rice, and much more. All the boxes were filled with large amounts of food. Several anonymous donors also gave money that added up to a grand total of $1,250. The SCU was able to present that money to representatives from Sacred Hearts Church in the form of a large check.

The SCU was happy to be able to contribute so much to the canned food collection. The church was very appreciative of all the donations and were amazed by how much food was collected. This service is just one of many that the Kohala SCU helps with throughout the year. For December they are planning to help with the annual Toys for Tots event as well as caroling at the Kohala Hospitol. For more information or to sign up for these events come to the Computer Room at the school.